+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

temp visit visa for parents applied separately

bsobaid

Jul 12, 2009
Mother in law got a visit visa 4-5 years ago without problems and she visited and returned.

This time the plan is to apply for both father in law and mother in law.

Unfortunately they dont have any ownership back home neither a big bank balance, so weak economic ties, though they do have 3 dependent children all of them around 20 years age.

So I feel there is a higher risk this time their application can get rejected.

I am applying online My question is:

1) If I apply together, does cic must accept both or reject both? or they can accept mother in law and reject father in law?
2) Is it possible I apply for mother in law first and after she gets the visa, I apply father in law's application? this is to make sure atleast one of them arrive here.

thanks

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Just to be clear: Your mom-in-law's TRV is not valid anymore, right?

Can you share what your in-laws do professionally/are they retired?
Do they support the education and expenses of their 3 children?
Do they have any other immediate family who live with them?
Do they rent accommodation? Rent agreement?
Have they traveled to any other country?
Do they have pension funds, employment benefits?

Cheers

bsobaid

Jul 12, 2009
Bryanna said:
Hi,

Just to be clear: Your mom-in-law's TRV is not valid anymore, right?

Can you share what your in-laws do professionally/are they retired?
Do they support the education and expenses of their 3 children?
Do they have any other immediate family who live with them?
Do they rent accommodation? Rent agreement?
Have they traveled to any other country?
Do they have pension funds, employment benefits?

Cheers
yes, mother in law visa is expired.
father in law worked at a small time family business and has some savings but no employment, pensions etc. and is retired 4-5 years ago.
The children are around 20 years of age and they are all dependent on their parents for education, living etc and live with parents
They live in a family home too, so no ownership.
Other than children and parents, no other family member live with them.
Also, mother in law travelled to canada within past 5 years and had no prior travel history.
Father in law has no travel history at all.

In worse case situation, I am ok with one of them getting accepted if one is getting rejected.
I just dont want father in law's case hurting mother in law's chances.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's best if your mom-in-law applies alone without your father-in-law.

She must submit evidence to show she must return to her home country because of your father-in-law + to take care of her 3 dependent children. She can even submit proofs of their forthcoming exams (for example) to show a must-return-by date.

Her previous visit to Canada will also help to show that she has a history of returning to her home country

bsobaid

Jul 12, 2009
Bryanna said:
It's best if your mom-in-law applies alone without your father-in-law.

She must submit evidence to show she must return to her home country because of your father-in-law + to take care of her 3 dependent children. She can even submit proofs of their forthcoming exams (for example) to show a must-return-by date.

Her previous visit to Canada will also help to show that she has a history of returning to her home country
so dont apply for father in law at all?
so are you saying if I apply both of them together and they find a reason to not allow father in law then they will turn down mother in law too?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
If you can share more details about your father-in-law's situation.... for example, does he still manage the family business? How much funds can they show for their visit? Is the family home in their joint names? Do they pay taxes - for their income and for the property?

Your mom-in-law has better chances if she applies alone. She can show your father-in-law + her 3 children as the strong family tie.... also, finances for her visit will be lesser as compared to that for both of them (you said their financial situation is not strong)

bsobaid

Jul 12, 2009
Bryanna said:
If you can share more details about your father-in-law's situation.... for example, does he still manage the family business? How much funds can they show for their visit? Is the family home in their joint names? Do they pay taxes - for their income and for the property?

Your mom-in-law has better chances if she applies alone. She can show your father-in-law + her 3 children as the strong family tie.... also, finances for her visit will be lesser as compared to that for both of them (you said their financial situation is not strong)
I am going to show I will cover their expenses. I did that the last time too.

father in law is retired and not managing the business anymore. They dont pay taxes. The house could be in the joint names of all the siblings or may be they never changed it since their parents passed away.

may be I can apply for mom in law and once she is approved I can then apply for father in law.

so its fair to say then if I apply together and they find father in law has weak ties then they will also reject mom in law's?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
may be I can apply for mom in law and once she is approved I can then apply for father in law.

so its fair to say then if I apply together and they find father in law has weak ties then they will also reject mom in law's?
Given their situation, it's possible that both of them could be refused if they apply together.

It is better to apply for your MIL first by showing the ties I have stated... and then later try for your FIL

loststark

Star Member
Feb 20, 2019
Category........
If the property in paternal grandfather's name and all of the siblings live there without change of ownership, but pay separate utility bills, is it considered weak tie?