Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Do U Need 'Temporary Health Insurance'
while Arriving in Canada?

Yes, you better !

Hope that was of some use...
Qorax
Hi, Dear Qorax,

I was thinking it will be great if you could through some light or cover the issues like Pregnancy and delivery of newborns in Canada while you are newly landed.

May some are planning to deliver the baby in Canada withing few month of Landing. (To have an advantage of Canadian born baby)

How Insurance companies are dealing or Government Hospital or institutes are facilitating to new immigrants?

What about the cast for normal delivery to C/S cases? (some or to high and some reasonable)

In Ontario health official web site says about time, having a own house etc..some eligibility criteria.

Please see below.....

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/ms/healthcareconnect/public/default.aspx
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/

"Eligibility
Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). To be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must :

be a Canadian citizen or have immigration status as set out in Ontario's Health Insurance Act, and
make your permanent and principal home in Ontario, and
be physically present in Ontario 153 days in any 12-month period.
OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. The ministry strongly encourages new and returning residents to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the OHIP waiting period."

My questions are....

If some one land with few month pregnancy then who will cover her delivery expenses as she will be not in Ontario for 153 day before delivery??

Does any Insurance company is covering the normal delivery or CS expenses.

I hope will get details, as well as other seniors those landed and went through the same process can also share the experience.

I will really appreciate if other can comments or give their opinions on this issue.

Best regards

Thanks in advance

hmisabpk

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Dear HMI,

VISITOR'S INSURANCE & PREGNANCY COVERAGE:
No short-term visitor’s medical insurances would cover for pregnancy and childbirth, while traveling outside your home country. There can be some coverage -but that'd be 'only' for emergencies arising out of Child Birth. Not for Pre-Natal & Post-Natal coverage. Some sort of Temp. Health coverage might be possible, 'only' with some Ins. companies, but at additional [hefty] costs. About 80% Insurance Companies will not provide that anyway.

WHY PREGNANCY IS NOT COVERED UNDER VMI?
Since pregnancy is medically viewed as a "high risk" period, the insurance companies do not usually cover it for short term customers. Typically International Medical plans are designed to provide cover for unforeseen illness, injuries and accidents while traveling. Most travel medical insurances do not cover for maternity, pregnancy or childbirth. Even the few plans that do provide little coverage have too many restrictions attached to it. It is not cost effective for insurance companies, to cover for pregnancy and related issues, for visitors.

AVOID INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL DURING LATE STAGE/S OF PREGNANCY:
It might be unavoidable for some women to travel, while they are pregnant for both business and personal reasons. However, unless it is absolutely necessary, it is better to avoid traveling during Late Pregnancy. Pregnancy is medically considered to be a high risk period. The problems, one can face during international travel, could range from minor problems like morning sickness to major complications like pre-term birth. While this can happen even in the confines of one’s own home, the possibility and the complexity of the whole situation increases if one travels internationally.

TRAVEL IN EARLY STAGE/S OF PREGNANCY MIGHT BE "OK":
If you must, it 'only' advisable to travel under Early pregnancy. That way you mitigate 'some' risk, though not all. I'd say till max 3-4 months of pregnancy. However remember, as you [most likely] will not have any health coverage in Canada [except Alberta & Manitoba], you'll have to fend for yourself, for about 6-7 months of pregnancy [till the 3 months of waiting period]. But yes, once the OHIP begins -you are good to go.

BE PREPARED TO PAY 'BIG' BILLS:
If you are one of those people who cannot avoid foreign travel during pregnancy, it is important to be aware of this limitation. The medical bills for pregnancy related complications including childbirth can be significant. It is important to be both emotionally and financially prepared to deal with any unforeseen complication of pregnancy, while traveling. If you do not have enough financial strength to deal with such unforeseen situation, one of the "only" solutions that you have in your disposal is to contact local Community Centers. They run [limited] government sponsored programs to deal with such cases.

Qorax

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
trinatocanada said:
Hi,
Can we apply for OHIP even if we're staying only for three weeks?
Not sure what you mean by "staying only for 3 weeks". You have to be a resident for 3 months before you become eligible for OHIP, and you have to prove your residency (e.g. drivers license, othe rrimportant documents) with an Ontario residence. You also have to prove how long you will be a resident (that is, at least 6 months if you are on a temporary permit). They wouldn't even let me submit my application until after the 3 month-waiting period had passed.

So, if you've gotten your PR, you plan to land but leave after 3 weeks, no - you cannot apply for OHIP until you actually settle in Ontario.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Dear HMI,

VISITOR'S INSURANCE & PREGNANCY COVERAGE:
No short-term visitor's medical insurances would cover for pregnancy and childbirth, while traveling outside your home country.

They run [limited] government sponsored programs to deal with such cases.

Qorax

Dear Qorax,

Thank you for detailed and informatics answer.

HMISABPK

AUH Process

Star Member
Feb 11, 2010
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2007
trinatocanada said:
Hi,
Can we apply for OHIP even if we're staying only for three weeks?
3 months frm the date of your arrival you will be eligable for OHIP....however, please note that if you are not a resident, you cannot use OHIP. (redidency does not mean PR card only, it means living here for half the year for the purpose of OHIP)

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
Hi Qorax,

Thank you once again for your time and energy,in sharing with us this useful info.
If one lands in Calgary,Alberta,then he would not need a travel insurance as the Health card process is faster compared to other provinces.Can you tell me how fast is this and during the itervening time do we need a short term insurance.

Regards

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
penpal said:
Hi Qorax,

Thank you once again for your time and energy,in sharing with us this useful info.
If one lands in Calgary,Alberta,then he would not need a travel insurance as the Health card process is faster compared to other provinces.Can you tell me how fast is this and during the itervening time do we need a short term insurance.

Regards
In Calgary-AB, u'll be eligible for health cover from the day u apply. The card may come later, but the coverage stands valid.

pooja82

Oct 10, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2009
Doc's Request.
05-02-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
In Process
Med's Request
22-06-2012 (received 2nd July 2012)
Med's Done....
10-07-2012 (received by CHC London 16th July 2012)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31st Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
10th Dec 2012
LANDED..........
Sometime in March, April :-)
hi Qorax
once a champion, always a champion.................
regarding pregnancy.
it means in Calgary, pregnency is covered from day one. everything?? pre / post delivery. ;D
in toronto, one has to wait for 3 months............. :(
toronto is a preferred place......wat to do
so, u mean there is no Travel Insurance for 1st 3 months by any provider. what a shame.
thanks, once again
cheers

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-04-2010 (Reached Ottawa May 4 2010)
Interview........
waived
pooja82 said:
hi Qorax
once a champion, always a champion.................
regarding pregnancy.
it means in Calgary, pregnency is covered from day one. everything?? pre / post delivery. ;D
in toronto, one has to wait for 3 months............. :(
toronto is a preferred place......wat to do
so, u mean there is no Travel Insurance for 1st 3 months by any provider. what a shame.
thanks, once again
cheers
Be very careful before you buy the health insurance. Most companies are a fraud and deny you on one or another excuse after you file a claim.

pooja82

Oct 10, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2009
Doc's Request.
05-02-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
In Process
Med's Request
22-06-2012 (received 2nd July 2012)
Med's Done....
10-07-2012 (received by CHC London 16th July 2012)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31st Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
10th Dec 2012
LANDED..........
Sometime in March, April :-)
thanks mpapdp.1984
gr8t job

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-04-2010 (Reached Ottawa May 4 2010)
Interview........
waived
pooja82 said:
thanks mpapdp.1984
gr8t job
You'r welcome Pooja. The best way to check if a company offering travel health insurance is genuine or not is to check it's reviews online. Just put the name of the company and the words customer reviews in Google and you will get a number of reviews from people who have either been cheated or are satisfied with the company.

Paying for health care without having insurance can break your back and would be a very dirty start for some one to start their new life. Please get temporary health care if you are planning to settle in ON as OHIP kicks in after 4 months.

aybee

Nov 2, 2009
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
overall - 8 (7 above in each)
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
Is there any way to get travel insurance or any other type of Insurance when i leave india and still be covered say for few months. Or do i have to apply for it as soon as i land in toronto so that i am covered for the initial 3 months as Qorax suggested ?

ANYONE ?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
aybee said:
Is there any way to get travel insurance or any other type of Insurance when i leave india and still be covered say for few months. Or do i have to apply for it as soon as i land in toronto so that i am covered for the initial 3 months as Qorax suggested ?

ANYONE ?
U can do it both ways. But, getting it from your homeland would be cheaper vis-a-vis the coverage. While in Canada, u'll pay thru your nose for the same coverage. TAKE IT FROM INDIA. I have written about companies in the OP. Check them out.

Qorax

A

anushauc

Qorax ,

I have almost zeroed in on Bajaj Allianz travel health insurance .. They are not insisting on a return ticket , in fact I clearly told them I am moving to Canada as an immigrant ( I hope they understood that !! )
They have a 90 day policy , Travel Elite Gold ...

http://bajajallianz.com/BagicCorp/bajaj_home/pdf/brochure/travel_elite_br.pdf

Just not sure if its the right policy ... Any words of advice .. What else shud we chk for ?

hailo

Feb 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 8,2009
Doc's Request.
Dec.30,2009