+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TEF speaking

johnnycyrille

Star Member
Aug 3, 2018
Hi,
I'm wondering if any of you who did this test might help me.
In fact i'm preparing for the speaking test and some materials mention we have 10 mins to prepare our speech before we start and other state we haven't any time to do so.
Which one should i believe?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are two sections - for the first one you have no time to prepare, the second one you do have time to prepare but I can't recall whether it is 10 min or less.

dodogirl

Mar 30, 2018
I did my test last year. You get 1 minute to prepare questions (approx 10) for section 1, the examiner answers the questions and 1 minute for section 2. For section 2 you are given a paper to make some notes in your attempt to convince the examiner.

Reactions: Uvr and SumH12

SumH12

Apr 11, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
26-09-2018
AOR Received.
06-10-2018
Med's Done....
12-12-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019
Same with me (I took the test this year). Only one minute to prepare for section 1, same for section 2.

SumH12

Apr 11, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
26-09-2018
AOR Received.
06-10-2018
Med's Done....
12-12-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019
Expression orale (EO) 15 min – 2 sujets à traiter (section A & section B)
Section A:
Durée : 5 minutes
Type de document : une publicité ou annonce de la vie quotidienne (offre d’emploi, offre de services, loisirs, logement, etc.)
Objectif : obtenir des informations concernant ce document
Consigne: Vous avez lu une annonce pour XXXXXXXX et vous êtes intéressé(e). Vous téléphonez pour avoir plus d’informations. → Posez une dizaine de questions. → Votre examinateur(trice) joue le rôle de votre interlocuteur(trice).

Section B:
Durée : 10 minutes
Type de document : une publicité ou annonce de la vie quotidienne (offre d’emploi, offre de services, loisirs, annonce publique, etc.)
Objectif : - présenter le document à l’examinateur - argumenter pour le convaincre de participer à la situation décrite
Consigne: Vous avez lu une annonce pour XXXXXXXXX. Vous en parlez à un(e) ami(e) qui XXXXXXXXX. → Présentez-lui ce document ; → Essayez de le (la) convaincre de XXXXXXXXX.

Second part is about talking to a friend so it is really important to use a lexique/ language more informal.

https://www.lefrancaisdesaffaires.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Sujets-EO.pdf

Reactions: dodogirl

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Extract from one of my posts about TEF:

Speaking:
-Two sections. Two jury members. One talks, the other grades. They switch after the end of the first part.

-First section (5mn) **(Edit: and 1 minute preparation)**. You'll do a role-play where you call someone to ask more information about an ad. You have to ask at least 10 questions that are relevant to the presented document. For example, I had to "call" and ask questions about an ad on a castle that does wine tasting tours in grape fields around a castle. Others who took the test had to "call" to ask questions about a yard sale.
-Second section (10mn) **(Edit: and 1 minute preparation)**. Still a role-play, where you have to convince your friend to act on an ad presented to you. For example, I had to convince her to sign-up for a Book club. You have to present valid and structured arguments. No need to actually convince her/him per se, but it's still an argumentation. They will play hard ball, pretending not to be interested.

SumH12

Apr 11, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
26-09-2018
AOR Received.
06-10-2018
Med's Done....
12-12-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019
Extract from one of my posts about TEF:

Speaking:
-Two sections. Two jury members. One talks, the other grades. They switch after the end of the first part.

-First section (5mn) **(Edit: and 1 minute preparation)**. You'll do a role-play where you call someone to ask more information about an ad. You have to ask at least 10 questions that are relevant to the presented document. For example, I had to "call" and ask questions about an ad on a castle that does wine tasting tours in grape fields around a castle. Others who took the test had to "call" to ask questions about a yard sale.
-Second section (10mn) **(Edit: and 1 minute preparation)**. Still a role-play, where you have to convince your friend to act on an ad presented to you. For example, I had to convince her to sign-up for a Book club. You have to present valid and structured arguments. No need to actually convince her/him per se, but it's still an argumentation. They will play hard ball, pretending not to be interested.
Very good post. Really helpful and detailed. ;)

carlosbaldojr

Oct 3, 2018
Expression orale (EO) 15 min – 2 sujets à traiter (section A & section B)
Section A:
Durée : 5 minutes
Type de document : une publicité ou annonce de la vie quotidienne (offre d’emploi, offre de services, loisirs, logement, etc.)
Objectif : obtenir des informations concernant ce document
Consigne: Vous avez lu une annonce pour XXXXXXXX et vous êtes intéressé(e). Vous téléphonez pour avoir plus d’informations. → Posez une dizaine de questions. → Votre examinateur(trice) joue le rôle de votre interlocuteur(trice).

Section B:
Durée : 10 minutes
Type de document : une publicité ou annonce de la vie quotidienne (offre d’emploi, offre de services, loisirs, annonce publique, etc.)
Objectif : - présenter le document à l’examinateur - argumenter pour le convaincre de participer à la situation décrite
Consigne: Vous avez lu une annonce pour XXXXXXXXX. Vous en parlez à un(e) ami(e) qui XXXXXXXXX. → Présentez-lui ce document ; → Essayez de le (la) convaincre de XXXXXXXXX.

Second part is about talking to a friend so it is really important to use a lexique/ language more informal.

https://www.lefrancaisdesaffaires.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Sujets-EO.pdf
Hello, I am also about to take TEF, but I`m not so confidente as I wanted, so could you please help me with this one: As each test (skill) must be paid for individually, do you know whether it is possible to repeat only one of them in case that score is not enough and then use the second one along with the other previously done? Thanks a lot!!

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hello, I am also about to take TEF, but I`m not so confidente as I wanted, so could you please help me with this one: As each test (skill) must be paid for individually, do you know whether it is possible to repeat only one of them in case that score is not enough and then use the second one along with the other previously done? Thanks a lot!!
Each test/skill isn't paid separately... TEF CANADA has 4 sections that you have to go through on the same test day. I'm afraid you were misinformed.
If you fail or score badly in one section, you cannot retake just one section. You will have to go through the whole test again if you wish to get a better score.
Note however, that unlike IELTS, there needs to be a probatory period before you can take the test again. There needs to be 60 days between two test days.

dodogirl

Mar 30, 2018
Just like for IELTS, if you did not perform well in one module you have to sit for all 4 modules as once for TEF. You pay for all components of the test. Modules are not paid separately.

SumH12

Apr 11, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
26-09-2018
AOR Received.
06-10-2018
Med's Done....
12-12-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019
I second what @dodogirl and @Peacekeeper87 explained. It isn’t possible to repeat only one module.
In addition, you will have a consolidated results certificate with a reference number for all 4 modules. You will include that number in your EE profile.

Last edited:
Reactions: carlosbaldojr

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
I don't think it has ever been proven that you have to retake the whole thing. There is no clear rule from CIC in this regard. Correct me if I am wrong.

In the case of IELTS, it's IELTS that makes you retake the whole thing.

For TEF, one could take speaking and writing within one year of the other sections.

Edit. Of course one could not retake just speaking or writing after you took it once, but Alliance française gives a choice to take them at a later date than listening, reading and lexique (they call it QCM) .

Reactions: carlosbaldojr

SumH12

Apr 11, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
26-09-2018
AOR Received.
06-10-2018
Med's Done....
12-12-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019
I don't think it has ever been proven that you have to retake the whole thing. There is no clear rule from CIC in this regard. Correct me if I am wrong.

In the case of IELTS, it's IELTS that makes you retake the whole thing.

For TEF, one could take speaking and writing within one year of the other sections.
TEF Canada is different that only TEF and even TCF. TEF Canada is specifically taken for Canada Immigrantion purposes outside Quebec.

Reactions: dodogirl