+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TEF speaking

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
TEF Canada is different that only TEF and even TCF. TEF Canada is specifically taken for Canada Immigrantion purposes outside Quebec.
Some places don't even offer TEF Canada. The regular TEF results work just fine.

SumH12

Apr 11, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
26-09-2018
AOR Received.
06-10-2018
Med's Done....
12-12-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019
Some places don't even offer TEF Canada. The regular TEF results work just fine.
What they explained to me in the AF when I booked it, was that all 4 modules were required to be done in the same session, for Express Entry purpose at least (there is only one field for test results reference number)

And you are right, sadly TEF Canada is not available in all Alliances Françaises. Tell me about it, I had to travel outside my country to take it.

Last edited:

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Absolutely not. TEF CANADA is the only test accepted for immigration to Canada (including Quebec). If the center doesn't offer it, candidate has to go to a center where it is offered.

Last edited:
Reactions: SumH12

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
I don't think it has ever been proven that you have to retake the whole thing. There is no clear rule from CIC in this regard. Correct me if I am wrong.

In the case of IELTS, it's IELTS that makes you retake the whole thing.

For TEF, one could take speaking and writing within one year of the other sections.

Edit. Of course one could not retake just speaking or writing after you took it once, but Alliance française gives a choice to take them at a later date than listening, reading and lexique (they call it QCM) .
No. One may not retake one section only. Some centers will indeed allow you to have the speaking at a later (but close date), but it's will still be part of one exam certificate. Under no circumstance can you choose to retake one section, just like IELTS.

https://www.lefrancaisdesaffaires.fr/destination-canada/
Scroll to bottom of page.

Edit: Also, there is no "lexique" in TEF CANADA. It's only Writing, Speaking, Listening, Reading.
https://www.lefrancaisdesaffaires.fr/en/tests-diplomas/test-for-evaluating-french-tef/tef-canada/

Last edited:

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
Indeed, TEF Canada or just TEF are allowed as per IRCC website. Although all 4 modules at same time (at least that is what they explained to me in the center when I booked it).

And you are right, sadly TEF and even TEF Canada are not available in all Alliances Françaises. Tell me about it, I had to travel outside my country to take it.
The center is not IRCC though. I wonder if anyone has exact instructions from IRCC
Absolutely not. TEF CANADA is the only test accepted for immigration to Canada (including Quebec). If the center doesn't offer it, candidate has to go to a center where it is offered.
Thousands of people have taken the regular TEF at the alliance here and no one complained. So it's fine.

They even asked us if it was for express entry, everyone around me said yes. She didn't freak out, she just said you could ignore the lexique in that case.

Last edited:

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
No. One may not retake one section only. Some centers will indeed allow you to have the speaking at a later (but close date), but it's will still be part of one exam certificate. Under no circumstance can you choose to retake one section, just like IELTS.

https://www.lefrancaisdesaffaires.fr/destination-canada/
Scroll to bottom of page.

Edit: Also, there is no "lexique" in TEF CANADA. It's only Writing, Speaking, Listening, Reading.
https://www.lefrancaisdesaffaires.fr/en/tests-diplomas/test-for-evaluating-french-tef/tef-canada/
That page is not from IRCC.

Some places do have lexique. Just the score for that section doesn't matter.
You can't know what every single AF does.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
That page is not from IRCC.

Some places do have lexique. Just the score for that section doesn't matter.
You can't know what every single AF does.
To say some places have "lexique" is incorrect.
You mean some tests do have lexique. And TEF CANADA isn't one of them. That's what I'm saying.
I don't know what all Alliance Française centers do, thank you very much, but I know TEF CANADA doesn't have lexique.

And if you're looking in IRCC website to look for instructions and rules for a test they don't oversee or administer, you're in for a long unfruitful search...
You should look at the website of the very organisation that oversees and designs the test. Wouldn't that be more accurate?

If the body which organises the TEF says you can't retake just one section, doesn't that mean it's the rule?
IRCC can't tell candidates to retake just one section if the CCI-Paris says you can't. Not finding the rule written in IRCC website doesn't void the rule.

Last edited:

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
The center is not IRCC though. I wonder if anyone has exact instructions from IRCC

Thousands of people have taken the regular TEF at the alliance here and no one complained. So it's fine.

They even asked us if it was for express entry, everyone around me said yes. She didn't freak out, she just said you could ignore the lexique in that case.
Interesting info.
Last Tuesday, there was a web conference in which I took part, with immigration officers in British-Columbia (organised by the Canadian Embassy in Paris and Destination Canada).
In the Q&A session, a question came up about this exact thing. TEF or TEF CANADA?
And they were all categorical about TEF Canada being the test they accept. Is there some tolerance with test centers that don't offer TEF Canada... maybe.

carlosbaldojr

Oct 3, 2018
Thanks a lot guys, I was actually misinformed by the alliance française here where I live. Anyways, it`s gonna have to be done at once as good as it can be.

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
To say some places have "lexique" is incorrect.
You mean some tests do have lexique. And TEF CANADA isn't one of them. That's what I'm saying.
I don't know what all Alliance Française centers do, thank you very much, but I know TEF CANADA doesn't have lexique.

And if you're looking in IRCC website to look for instructions and rules for a test they don't oversee or administer, you're in for a long unfruitful search...
You should look at the website of the very organisation that oversees and designs the test. Wouldn't that be more accurate?

If the body which organises the TEF says you can't retake just one section, doesn't that mean it's the rule?
IRCC can't tell candidates to retake just one section if the CCI-Paris says you can't. Not finding the rule written in IRCC website doesn't void the rule.
According to your logic, test adminstrators dictate to IRCC? Actually, it's the other way around; IRCC decides what's acceptable and what's not. In fact, when I wrote to TEF administrators, they replied like this:

Nous comprenons tout à fait vos remarques. Sachez que nous faisons notre possible pour pouvoir envoyer des attestations électroniques également pour le TEF Canada, mais nous attendons l'accord du Ministère de l'immigration canadien.

That to me sounds like IRCC decides.

Most likely you are right, it's just there is no clear instruction from IRCC, it's just "assumed".

Actually, CCI-Paris allows people to take speaking and writing separately.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
According to your logic, test adminstrators dictate to IRCC? Actually, it's the other way around; IRCC decides what's acceptable and what's not. In fact, when I wrote to TEF administrators, they replied like this:

Nous comprenons tout à fait vos remarques. Sachez que nous faisons notre possible pour pouvoir envoyer des attestations électroniques également pour le TEF Canada, mais nous attendons l'accord du Ministère de l'immigration canadien.

That to me sounds like IRCC decides.

Most likely you are right, it's just there is no clear instruction from IRCC, it's just "assumed".
This is where you don't seem to see clearly. It's not my logic... I'm giving you factual information written on the website of the organization that makes the TEF.

CCI-Paris has its rules on how it manages TEF, and that's it. These rules weren't created by IRCC. They don't wait for IRCC to tell them what rules should be applied in their test centers, just so a handful of people can immigrate to Canada. Do you think IRCC dicates to IELTS how the exam should be held?... I don't think so. TEF rules are the same for all TEF test variants.

Yes, Canada will ask for a customized test. Yes they will have minimum requirements, but by no means will give orders on how to run it.

I don't know where you get this idea really. I sent you a link that clearly states TEF itself won't allow you to retake just one section, but still you seem to want to hear it from IRCC only, otherwise it's not acceptable to you. I have to say you beat me there...

By the way, I am familiar with the kind of email you received, because I received the same one almost. Doesn't at all mean IRCC gives orders. Not sure how you're getting to that conclusion.

And because you seem to love focusing on words and clues, with big disregard to what is already written, they're waiting to reach an agreement (accord), not an authorization. As far as you know, it could be TEF that is making this rule change, and is waiting for a common agreement to commonly change the rule regarding electronic reports. After all, if Canada won't accept electronic reports from candidates, there is no point for TEF to make them. Basic Business. Doesn't mean they're waiting for their authorization...

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
This is where you don't seem to see clearly. It's not my logic... I'm giving you factual information written on the website of the organization that makes the TEF.

CCI-Paris has its rules on how it manages TEF, and that's it. These rules weren't created by IRCC. They don't wait for IRCC to tell them what rules should be applied in their test centers, just so a handful of people can immigrate to Canada. Do you think IRCC dicates to IELTS how the exam should be held?... I don't think so. TEF rules are the same for all TEF test variants.

Yes, Canada will ask for a customized test. Yes they will have minimum requirements, but by no means will give orders on how to run it.

I don't know where you get this idea really. I sent you a link that clearly states TEF itself won't allow you to retake just one section, but still you seem to want to hear it from IRCC only, otherwise it's not acceptable to you. I have to say you beat me there...

By the way, I am familiar with the kind of email you received, because I received the same one almost. Doesn't at all mean IRCC gives orders. Not sure how you're getting to that conclusion.

And because you seem to love focusing on words and clues, with big disregard to what is already written, they're waiting to reach an agreement (accord), not an authorization. As far as you know, it could be TEF that is making this rule change, and is waiting for a common agreement to commonly change the rule regarding electronic reports. After all, if Canada won't accept electronic reports from candidates, there is no point for TEF to make them. Basic Business. Doesn't mean they're waiting for their authorization...
I sent a link for our AF and they do offer speaking and writing separately. You keep repeating that's unacceptable because CCI-Paris thinks it's unacceptable. If they do, why does AF offer it? IRCC doesn't order, they just decide. For example, they don't accept TOEFL or other tests, that's it.

The last word stays with IRCC; authorization, agreement .. whatever you call it.

Last edited:

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
I sent a link for our AF and they do offer speaking and writing separately. You keep repeating that's unacceptable because CCI-Paris thinks it's unacceptable. If they do, why does AF offer it? IRCC doesn't order, they just decide. For example, they don't accept TOEFL or other tests, that's it.

The last word stays with IRCC; authorization, agreement .. whatever you call it.
Try and take individual test modules, and upload those for your PR application. See what happens.
After all, you'll only listen to IRCC...

Agaikwa

Dec 8, 2018
Can we ask for clarifications in English during the speaking test in case you did not understand a particular French word?? Am guessing this would also mean an impact on your scores.

Last edited: