NOC Code......
2232/2132
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
In EE pool: CRS 427
IELTS Request
Overall Band: 9.0
I haven't yet seen anyone post about the TEF exam. This was definitely not necessary for the previous FSW program for most applicants; however, all of us can now get extra points via our French language skills, if we have any skills that is...

I looked at my local San Francisco office and it seems they offer 10 different French exams, but not the TEF. Then there is the TEF the e-TEF the TEFaQ etc. Anyone know of a good forum that discusses the TEF exam for Canadian immigrants? There seems to be way more info on IELTS than TEF.

I think I could pick up 3-7 points if me and my wife took the exam, but still not sure the $500? is worth it yet. Will be at CRS=427 by the end of the month.

--
SharpC

NicoleD

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Actually, TEF can bring you a lot of points if you use French as first language when completing the EE profile.anyone using the TEF as first language?

idefix

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2014
I've taken the TEF here in Brazil - but there are only 3 dates per year, you have to subscribe a month before the test and it takes 1 month to get the results back.

I'd say it's easier to get very high grades on IELTS than on TEF, but it is possible to use it as a first language if you want.

For EE, the only option is TEF - but you have to take both the optional tests of Written and Oral expressions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_d%27%C3%A9valuation_du_fran%C3%A7ais

TEFAQ is NOT the same as TEF. I don't know the e-TEF.

There are two possible options to EE:
- TEF Canada;
- TEF "basic": QCM + Expression Ecrite + Expression Orale.

With TEF Canada you don't have to take the grammar test. On Brazil, TEF Canda wasn't available, only TEF basic.

SharpC

Oct 21, 2014
San Francisco
Category........
NOC Code......
2232/2132
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Thanks for the information. So the wiki page is wrong, as I expected. It states that grammar is mandatory for Canadian immigration.

My comments are not to use TEF as 1st language, but as extra points as your 2nd language. There are max of 22 additional "bonus" points available, in addition to one's IELTS score.

In FSW once we achieved 67 points we qualified, no need for extra points. But now with the EE draw program, the higher one's CRS the better. Therefore, everyone could benefit from taking the TEF -Canada exam, if they can at least score some points.

My french is reasonable, but nowhere near fluent; however, I could very likely get some points in the speaking and reading sections. Perhaps 1 point in the Listening section.

But yes, finding a place nearby that offers this test is difficult, and they only offer the test once or perhaps 3 times a year. And on top of that, there appear to be limited resources available online compared to the IELTS.

--
SharpC

idefix

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2014
Studying for TEF was dificult - very hard to find books or any information on the subject. The one book is full of mistakes, with a lot of wrong answers....

Plus, the test is tricky because you get +3 points for each question answered right, and -1 point for each question answered wrong. So you are better of not answering the questions you are not sure of!

But anyway, it gave me 18 extra points, so I'm happy I took it :).

SharpC

Oct 21, 2014
San Francisco
Category........
NOC Code......
2232/2132
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
18 points would definitely be worth the hassle and cost.

Based on some practice examples I tried, I'm quite confident I can pick up 3 points in the reading by getting CLB 7 minimum (there is so much in common between english and french in texts). Speaking I have no idea, but possibly CLB 7. My speaking french is very colloquial, with lots of grammar mistakes like a spanish cow, but I have a near perfect accent and large vocabulary, so in France I am able to communicate with friends and family in general conversations. Perhaps I can get CLB 7 for 3 points???

Writing would be impossible for me, as I have zero formal education, I would leave this blank. The listening samples were tricky, but perhaps I could get 1 or 3 points. It seems that in several of the sections the texts were played twice in the examples, and on the first sections I was able to get all the answers correct, but the harder sections were nearly impossible. And it was all in Parisian accent, Quebec accent is much harder for me.

Well, I sent an email to the San Francisco test center to see what options they might offer. Perhaps I could pick up another 7 points to add to my 427 score. I will lose 10 points in the spring as I will add a year to my age, so this could help offset.

--
SharpC

*My wife is native French, and she only achieved 18 CRS points from the IELTS. She could also take the TEF to get the max 20 CRS points for my application, as she would likely score better on the TEF than she did on the IELTS. But were talking about 400USD? for a potential extra 2 points.

idefix

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2014
+1 for good luck SharpC!

If your wife is French, ask her to help you ;). I'm sure she can help you score some points even on the writing part.

On the TEF you don't have any repetition - you only listen each audio part once. And it's all with a Parisian accent because the test is done by a French institution.

S

sutyfornow

idefix said:
Studying for TEF was dificult - very hard to find books or any information on the subject. The one book is full of mistakes, with a lot of wrong answers....

Plus, the test is tricky because you get +3 points for each question answered right, and -1 point for each question answered wrong. So you are better of not answering the questions you are not sure of!

are you a native French? Is it possible for non natives to win those 18 marks or the exam would be only easy for nituve french?

But anyway, it gave me 18 extra points, so I'm happy I took it :).