+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TEER for Data Engineer not matching job duties

USA_student_to_Canada

Star Member
Oct 31, 2020
Hi, I have a problem, when I search for the TEER of a data engineer the only TEER that shows up is 212111 - data scientist. It even lists the data engineer role in the list of title indexes. The problem I am facing is that the data engineering roles does not match with a data scientist job duties listed on the website. What should I do in this situation please advise. Anyone else who has a Data Engineering role having this problem?

lingreed

May 30, 2022
Commenting because I'm having the same issue as a data engineer.

I guess we have to choose one of the following:
21223 Database analysts and data administrators
21211 Data scientists

I feel like 21223 is a closer match with job duties but when I go to data scientist page on NOC website, data engineer is listed in example titles.

Hopefully a data engineer who got PR could help us.

Reactions: Srushti2020

sbali

Jan 13, 2023

21211 Data scientists

I feel like 21223 is a closer match with job duties but when I go to data scientist page on NOC website, data engineer is listed in example titles.

Titles can be misleading

Go for 21223

USA_student_to_Canada

Star Member
Oct 31, 2020

21211 Data scientists

Not really the job duties for 21223 are moreso for a data base admin. Not really a data engineering role.

USA_student_to_Canada

Star Member
Oct 31, 2020

21211 Data scientists

Please let me know if you are consulting with someone as I am still confused. My work says the 21211 teer works and they even wrote it in my reference letter. Am I allowed to ask them to change it?

amar.rudran

Mar 16, 2022
Hi @USA_student_to_Canada / @lingreed :
I have the same question. My role is data Engineering, and my job duties are ETL, Bigdata, AWS etc.
The 21211 code job duties are mentioned mainly as Machine learning, Deep learning, AI etc. And doesn't specify any duties of Data Engineering. But the title has Data Engineer and BigData Developer.
Meanwhile, 21223 job duties are Data Administration and Database analysis. That also doesn't specify any duties of Data Engineering.

So, confused about which NOC code to use. Can you please share which one you used and why?

Feb 15, 2023
Hi @USA_student_to_Canada / @lingreed :
I have the same question. My role is data Engineering, and my job duties are ETL, Bigdata, AWS etc.
The 21211 code job duties are mentioned mainly as Machine learning, Deep learning, AI etc. And doesn't specify any duties of Data Engineering. But the title has Data Engineer and BigData Developer.
Meanwhile, 21223 job duties are Data Administration and Database analysis. That also doesn't specify any duties of Data Engineering.

So, confused about which NOC code to use. Can you please share which one you used and why?
Hi so my company assured me that the noc they put down works and they provided the job duties that somewhat match the data scientist noc. I even consulted a lawyer and showed them my employment letter and the noc and they said it should be fine as there's some ambiguity and the update is very current. So far I haven't had any issue in my PR process so let's see. Hoping for the best

Reactions: amar.rudran