+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Teaching assitantship as professional experience

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
Hi All,

I will have my MSc in Canada by this year. I will have two years of teaching and research assistant experience. Will it qualify me as an applicant for Canadian Experience Class? Moreover, I will join in PhD program next year and also be doing teaching and research assistantship. Please let me know, if any of these criteria make me eligible.

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
omaradib said:
Hi All,

I will have my MSc in Canada by this year. I will have two years of teaching and research assistant experience. Will it qualify me as an applicant for Canadian Experience Class?

As a postgraduate applicant - Not unless you also did your BA in Canada; work experience has to be POST graduation.

As a Skilled Worker applicant - it is unlikely that you meet the hours requirement; you would need 3900 hours of work experience. It is also unclear whether CIC will accept the work experience on a student visa.

Moreover, I will join in PhD program next year and also be doing teaching and research assistantship. Please let me know, if any of these criteria make me eligible.

After you receive your master's degree, your work experience in your PhD program should "count" as post-graduation work experience. You will need to complete 1950 hours within 2 years...

Besides CEC, check your provincial nominee program. For example, in Ontario, the PNP program (Opportunities Ontario) is currently running a pilot program for international students who graduate from an Ontario university with a master's degree. If you graduate with a PhD, you currently qualify under OO. A drawback of OO is the cost - an additional $1500-2000 application fee to OO...

PJones

Jun 17, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2010
omaradib said:
Hi All,

I will have my MSc in Canada by this year. I will have two years of teaching and research assistant experience. Will it qualify me as an applicant for Canadian Experience Class? Moreover, I will join in PhD program next year and also be doing teaching and research assistantship. Please let me know, if any of these criteria make me eligible.

Thanks
I just called CIC and an agent told me that work experience under study permit won't count towards one year post-graduation requirement. She said it has to be under work permit. About a month ago I was told it could. Seems to me that those guys don't know f*ck all and that it's impossible to get straight answers from them. Does anyone here have any legit information about it? Not the 'I heard from one guy that his buddy used his work experience under study permit and got approved', but something more reliable. Please share.

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
PJones said:
I just called CIC and an agent told me that work experience under study permit won't count towards one year post-graduation requirement. She said it has to be under work permit. About a month ago I was told it could. Seems to me that those guys don't know f*ck all and that it's impossible to get straight answers from them. Does anyone here have any legit information about it? Not the 'I heard from one guy that his buddy used his work experience under study permit and got approved', but something more reliable. Please share.
PJones, your inbox is full, please free up some space for replies!
Essat

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
Thanks everyone for your answers. My current knowledge about this matter is in line with PJones’ opinion. Can’t get PR before I graduate as a PhD and do a full time job with work permit for 1 year.

One thing is good about it. They realized, they are making their people lazy. I hope they realize more of these stuffs and stop providing all the free lunch to pseudo-jobless lazy people.

PJones

Jun 17, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2010
A quick update. I contacted Martha Hassenfratz, she's a Client Service Coordinator at the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo. I asked her specifically whether work experience as a RA/TA under study permit after finishing first Canadian degree would count and that's what she said:

So long as you have valid status in Canada while you are doing your work
experience (i.e. hold a valid study permit), this work experience will
count towards CEC work experience.

That being said I'm applying lol

PJones

Jun 17, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2010
I'm mailing my application this week and then I'll let you know what happens! I'm pretty sure that you MUST include your family members, regardless of whether they will accompanying you or not. So yes, include your wife.

JBR

Jul 7, 2010
Hello Pjones:

You just made my day! I too hold a Canadian masters degree and I am completing my first year of PhD also in Canada. I was looking around to see if my RA and TA during PhD counted towards 1 year job requirement. I will be sending my application before the end of july. I will post if I get more information. Thank you and cheers.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
JBR - good luck! Just remember, you will have to document 37.5 hours per week for 1 year, or the equivalent... I just say this because RA / TA work is usually part-time and it may take more than 1 year for you to meet the employment requirement...

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
PJones said:
I'm mailing my application this week and then I'll let you know what happens! I'm pretty sure that you MUST include your family members, regardless of whether they will accompanying you or not. So yes, include your wife.
Thanks a lot man.

Anybody knows if there is any yearly deadline or limit on the number of applications?

hagop87

Jan 7, 2011
Any news guys from your applications?

I'm in a similar position with masters and then 1 year of FULL-TIME RA + TA.
Does it matter whether I have Post Graduate Work Permit or I'm doing the RA + TA only with study permit??

Thank you.