+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Teaching and research assistant points for EE

Rina9285

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
Hi friends,

I am a PhD student in Canada and have been doing TA and RA since last three years. Could you please guide me on below questions:

1) Does a PhD student get points for TA and RA in EE profile?
2)If no, the score will be around 400 points, would that be sufficient for getting Invitation to apply?
3) Is there any PhD student out there who got PR or Invitation to apply in EE?
4) If I do postdoctoral job for 1 year after finishing my PhD, would I be able to get points for that and would I be eligible under CEC category?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1- Unfortunately, No. You can't count any work hours done while you were a full time student in Canada.
2- Not sufficient with the current trend. Try to look for a PNP where you live.
3- Yes.
4. Try to calculate your points and see. Until you finish a lot will happen like the proposed extra points for international graduates of Canadian universities.

Good luck :)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
If you get CLB 9 on all your CELPIP tests, you'd get additional points in Skill Transferability thanks to your PhD.
But yes, you'd likely need 1 year work experience after finishing your PhD before you can qualify for Express Entry. You'd be able to get a PGWP anyway.

Try to compute for your hypothetical CRS, the last few draws were at 470+.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Else, as Doda said, you can also look for a paper-based PNP for PhD graduates that doesn't necessarily require 1 year work experience.

yhome

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
Doda said:
1- Unfortunately, No. You can't count any work hours done while you were a full time student in Canada.
2- Not sufficient with the current trend. Try to look for a PNP where you live.
3- Yes.
4. Try to calculate your points and see. Until you finish a lot will happen like the proposed extra points for international graduates of Canadian universities.

Good luck :)
Thanks for your answer. What about working as RA/TA after finishing all the courses ? Based on CIC full time student definition "A Person must be in Class for 15 hours per week to be considered a full time student", is RA/TA experience should be counted ?

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand, yet when filling the application you'll be asked of you were a full time student at the time or not. If you say yes, the time automatically don't count. If you said no, you will be dancing on the lips of a misrepresentation volcano as a PhD student is still considered as any normal student in Canada with a study visa.

Rina9285

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
Thank you so much Doda and Bellaluna for your time and help. As I study in Quebec, I have no chances of getting PN. For that I have to learn French (intermediate level). And also I have no plans to live in Quebec after finishing my study as Language is a big barrier in getting job here.

However, I have a chance to improve my score by taking the IELTS again. I calculated my hypothetical score by just increasing my bands a little and it addedd 66 points more into my score. It increased 16 points in language score + 25 in skill transferability for education+ 25 in skill transferability in foreign work experience. So there is a hope :)

What do you think, should I wait for two three months for ITA or just take the IELTS again? Also please let me know if I am mistaken in calculating the score somewhere.

Thank you guys.

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Take the IELTS again. You'll need it both ways, Quebec or Federal. If you manage to get a better score and receive an ITA, you'll have to make solid plans to relocate outside of Quebec. The EE process is not applicable for settling in Quebec and you will get rejected if you don't show the intention to leave Quebec. And by intention I mean actual moving or the process of movinh, even if you haven't finished your PhD yet.
Otherwise, I recommend looking into QSWP, it doesn't require french, but a longer tedious process. You can target a much better PEQ option, but french is compulsory.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
Rina9285 said:
Hi friends,

I am a PhD student in Canada and have been doing TA and RA since last three years. Could you please guide me on below questions:

1) Does a PhD student get points for TA and RA in EE profile? A: No, Except for NOC 4012. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6
2)If no, the score will be around 400 points, would that be sufficient for getting Invitation to apply?
3) Is there any PhD student out there who got PR or Invitation to apply in EE?
4) If I do postdoctoral job for 1 year after finishing my PhD, would I be able to get points for that and would I be eligible under CEC category?

Thank you in advance for your time.

wildemam

Nov 10, 2015
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The NOC 4012 exception adds only part time experience. She still needs the 1 year full time experience needed. She MUST take IELTS again anyway, and I suggest PNP in other provinces. The Quebec provincial immigration system became exceptionally crowded by applicants who can't score enough for EE.