+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxes for person on PR status who does work outside Canada

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Folks, friend of mind from Calgary who did work for Talisman energy as wellsite geologist lost his job this month...

He got an offer from Abu Dhabi yesterday to work on rotations 7 x 3 (7 weeks on, 3 weeks off), so he wont be present in Canada for more than 183 days per year. His wife and kids will reside in Calgary, they have a house down there.

Should he pay taxes in that case in Canada if he will be absent for more than 183 days a year? Thanks for all your responses in advance.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
HighFive said:
Folks, friend of mind from Calgary who did work for Talisman energy as wellsite geologist lost his job this month...

He got an offer from Abu Dhabi yesterday to work on rotations 7 x 3 (7 weeks on, 3 weeks off), so he wont be present in Canada for more than 183 days per year. His wife and kids will reside in Calgary, they have a house down there.

Should he pay taxes in that case in Canada if he will be absent for more than 183 days a year? Thanks for all your responses in advance.
Given that he has family residing in Canada, maintains a house here and will be visiting regularly, he will definitely be considered a resident for tax purposes and will have to pay income tax on all of his earnings in Abu Dhabi.

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
Given that he has family residing in Canada, maintains a house here and will be visiting regularly, he will definitely be considered a resident for tax purposes and will have to pay income tax on all of his earnings in Abu Dhabi.
Thanks for your answer, torontosm. Just one more question - someone told me if he'll get rid of health card, credit card and driving license he should be able to claim non-residential status with more than 183 days of absence.
Or having your family and house in Canada are more stronger residential ties than those three I've mentioned above....?? Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HighFive said:
Thanks for your answer, torontosm. Just one more question - someone told me if he'll get rid of health card, credit card and driving license he should be able to claim non-residential status with more than 183 days of absence.
Or having your family and house in Canada are more stronger residential ties than those three I've mentioned above....?? Thanks.
Having family and home in Canada are more stronger residential ties than health card, driver license and credit card.