+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxes: declare earnings from Mexico while Canadian Resident or Dual (MEX) Citizenship

omarojo

Mar 10, 2019
If Im a Canadian Resident or become a Dual Citizen (Mexico - Canada)

and
- I have formal employment in Canada with Bank Accounts in Canada receiving payments.
- I have formal employment in Mexico with Bank Accounts in Mexico receiving payments.

Do I need to declare my earnings when filing taxes in Canada? or in Mexico?

Last edited:

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Income you earned while a resident in Canada is taxable in Canada. I don't know much about the Mexican tax system, but I would think that employment income in Mexico is taxable in Mexico.

omarojo

Mar 10, 2019
Income you earned while a resident in Canada is taxable in Canada. I don't know much about the Mexican tax system, but I would think that employment income in Mexico is taxable in Mexico.
Yes I file my income earned in Canada to Canada every year. but when filing that... I dont include my income earned in Mexico.
and in Mexico I file my income earned in Mexico but I dont include my income earned in Canada.

So.. at least in Canada, am I doing it right ? I dont have to include my Mexican income? just the Canadian income. Because I've read that US you have to declare both or something like that.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
You need to determine where you have more ties. If you have more significant ties in Canada, then you are a tax resident of Canada. In this case, you pay Canadian tax on your world income, you can claim a tax credit on the tax you pay in Mexico.