+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxation and foreign job/income

a7medfx

Mar 6, 2020
Singapore
Hi, I am currently a PR in Canada. Just landed a couple of weeks ago.

At the moment, I have no income in Canada but do have a job and income in Singapore. For the Singaporean income, I get paid my salary to my bank account in Singapore and I pay my taxes in Singapore.

I am trying to open a bank account in Canada, and they ask questions like "Are you a tax resident in Canada?", "Are you a tax resident in a country outside Canada?"

Essentially, what I want to figure out is if I am a tax resident here, considering that I have only been here a couple of weeks. Furthermore, do I have to declare my tax residency status in Singapore to the Bank and the CRA? How will my Canadian taxes have to be filed if so?

Thanks a lot for reading.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I am currently a PR in Canada. Just landed a couple of weeks ago.

At the moment, I have no income in Canada but do have a job and income in Singapore. For the Singaporean income, I get paid my salary to my bank account in Singapore and I pay my taxes in Singapore.

I am trying to open a bank account in Canada, and they ask questions like "Are you a tax resident in Canada?", "Are you a tax resident in a country outside Canada?"

Essentially, what I want to figure out is if I am a tax resident here, considering that I have only been here a couple of weeks. Furthermore, do I have to declare my tax residency status in Singapore to the Bank and the CRA? How will my Canadian taxes have to be filed if so?

Thanks a lot for reading.
Are you going to return to Singapore anytime soon? If so, you are probably Canadian non-resident for tax purposes.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, I will have to return sometime this year. But it could be that I am here for at least 5 months by then.
According to CRA website below,

You are a non-resident for income tax purposes if you:

• normally, customarily, or routinely live in another country and are not considered a resident of Canada
  • do not have significant residential ties in Canada and anyof the following applies:
    • You live outside Canada throughout the tax year
    • You stay in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/non-residents-canada.html

a7medfx

Mar 6, 2020
Singapore
According to CRA website below,

You are a non-resident for income tax purposes if you:

• normally, customarily, or routinely live in another country and are not considered a resident of Canada
  • do not have significant residential ties in Canada and anyof the following applies:
    • You live outside Canada throughout the tax year
    • You stay in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/non-residents-canada.html
Is there an obligation to report my tax status of Singapore?