+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxation and customs for smartphone imported from China

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Dear forum members,

Very soon I will arrive in Canada as a temp worker.
I look at the prices for the smartphones and they look a lot for me.
I was thinking once I enter Canada to order some kind of Lenovo (a800/a820/a850) from Aliexpress from China (Chines version of ebay or amazon). It will cost me 200-250 CAD with free shipping.

My question is, because I will import electronics from abroad will I have to pay taxes + customs, or anything else.
For example in my home country if I order this I will pay 18% tax on property + 5% customs of the original price paid.

What is the procedure in Canada?

At last but not least :) will those phones work in Canada, or I will have to decode them?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
3G and 4G smartphones are usable in Canada.

Why don't you buy them before your arrival in Canada? I think every visitor of Canada can bring certain personal belongings tax and duty free. See the CBSA website and its publication for details.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
You are looking at wrong places. You can get quality cheap phones in Canada.

For example Quad Core Moto G can be had for $150. Galaxy S3 can be found for $200
Nexus 5 is also cheap here.

And no, you won't pay tax. It is your personal property.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
steaky said:
3G and 4G smartphones are usable in Canada.

Why don't you buy them before your arrival in Canada? I think every visitor of Canada can bring certain personal belongings tax and duty free. See the CBSA website and its publication for details.
The problem is in the frequencies... I am living in Europe and phone made for EU market might not work in Canada.
I currently have Nokia C7 bought from T-Mobile USA http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_c7-3394.php, I decode it to work in my country, but after I make search on the internet I found that my phone works in GSM for 2G and HSDPA for 3G so I guess in order to be able to work in Canada I will have to go with Rogers only they offer GSM in Alberta.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
mrbeachman said:
You are looking at wrong places. You can get quality cheap phones in Canada.

For example Quad Core Moto G can be had for $150. Galaxy S3 can be found for $200
Nexus 5 is also cheap here.

And no, you won't pay tax. It is your personal property.
Can you give me link as to where to look.
I looked at the telecom companies like Wind, Rogers, Bell and they look pricey... They are ok if you sign 2 year plan, but since I will be temp worker, I have to be prepared for the worst... that I might lost the job and get home... so I don't want to have long term contracts.

I looked at kijiji but they sell second hand phone... which I have no problem... but I am not phone master so somebody can easly sell me not genuine or broken phone... therefore I will like the convenience buying it from a store, online-shop...

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Sure. Be aware that these deals don't last long, but they are often replaced by another deal.

Moto G from Koodo. - $150

It seems like you also get a $100 gift with purchase.

https://shop.koodomobile.com/koodo-cell-phones/android/moto-g/prodKHMOXT1032.html

This Galaxy S3 is $300, but you get a store gift card which you can often apply towards the purchase price making this phone $150

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-koodo-samsung-galaxy-s3-16gb-smartphone-blue-on-a-300-koodo-tab-sgh-i747m/10233673.aspx?path=69e9bbb6015df24b7fea3abb381ea9d2en02