+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

tax

kkingra

Jul 2, 2012
do international students have to pay tax if they get scholarship. i got 1500 $ scholrship, and university sent me tax forums to pay 300 $ tax return. do we need to file tax return in canada / online if we do not more than 10000 cad ? plz reply international students.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No international students do not pay tax "ON" scholarship. It is good if international students file taxes every year though reporting all income, scholarship etc because you get education credits since you are studying.

You will be taxed on any income you earn but not scholarship/bursary. I am not sure why your university asked you to pay taxes on it. From my personal experience, I have received scholarships over 5K plus bursaries every year and never paid taxes. ( I did file tax returns though).

Anyway - to keep it simple - don't worry, when you go file your tax return you will not have to pay tax on that scholarship as it will be credited by your education credits - from your tuition fee. You will get a form for this too from Univ.

kkingra

Jul 2, 2012
yea ur right, i was also confused. i think they wrongly sent me. so even i do not file tax return i do not need to panic. i heard that even if international students do not earn more than 10000 cad $ per year mean (by on campus job work), we do not need to file tax. i also worked on campus but less than 20 hrs per week and i got my pay in my account with tax deducted. it means canada tax department has already deducted tax from on campus job pay. i submitted sin number photocopy to university (employer). if we do not file income tax, does it have any impact on my future PR immigration,, eg spouse immigration, federal or pnp.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is important to file taxes. Even if it is not needed...you must file taxes every year - it is a simple process. Taxation will not directly affect your PR but it can if you owe the govt money in taxes.

If your employer has already deducted taxes, you do know that you can get it back by filing taxes as a student right? - I am sure some extra cash wont hurt you. :p

Also if your employer has deducted taxes - it is even more important to file taxes to have a record of it. I have been here for 5 years and I am filing taxes every year.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What if you haven't been working on or off campus. I haven't. Do I still need to file taxes?

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itstime said:
What if you haven't been working on or off campus. I haven't. Do I still need to file taxes?
Like i said you dont need to...but it is good to file taxes...because you get education credits for the tuition fee you pay. Those credits will be recorded and then you can use them when you start earning.

Reactions: gupt07ash

haryM1

Dec 24, 2022
As a general rule, international students in Canada are required to pay tax on any income that they earn while in the country. This includes scholarship income, as well as income from employment, business, or other sources.

The amount of tax that you are required to pay will depend on the amount of your income, your tax rate, and any deductions or credits that you are eligible for. In Canada, international students are generally required to file a tax return if they have income from any source in Canada, even if the income is less than CAD 10,000.

If you received a scholarship of CAD 1,500 and you were required to pay CAD 300 in tax, this likely means that you had other income in addition to the scholarship income, and that the tax withheld from your scholarship was not sufficient to cover your total tax liability. In this case, you will need to file a tax return to report your total income and pay any additional tax that you owe.

If you are unsure about your tax obligations or if you have questions about how to file a tax return in Canada, I recommend seeking the advice of a qualified tax professional or consulting with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for more information. The CRA has a number of resources available to help international students understand their tax obligations and to assist them with filing their tax returns.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
As a general rule, international students in Canada are required to pay tax on any income that they earn while in the country. This includes scholarship income, as well as income from employment, business, or other sources.

The amount of tax that you are required to pay will depend on the amount of your income, your tax rate, and any deductions or credits that you are eligible for. In Canada, international students are generally required to file a tax return if they have income from any source in Canada, even if the income is less than CAD 10,000.

If you received a scholarship of CAD 1,500 and you were required to pay CAD 300 in tax, this likely means that you had other income in addition to the scholarship income, and that the tax withheld from your scholarship was not sufficient to cover your total tax liability. In this case, you will need to file a tax return to report your total income and pay any additional tax that you owe.

If you are unsure about your tax obligations or if you have questions about how to file a tax return in Canada, I recommend seeking the advice of a qualified tax professional or consulting with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for more information. The CRA has a number of resources available to help international students understand their tax obligations and to assist them with filing their tax returns.
Don’t spam.