+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax returns for renewing the PR card

sushmet

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Hi,

I became resident of Canada in 2011 in July, while my spouse was non-resident of Canada in 2011. I had specified
this in letter to CRA attached with my tax returns. However CRA did not read it and I got full year credit
(federal as well as provincial) for me and my spouse.

We corrected the information in CCTB application and CCTB and GST/HST department of CRA has correct information
about my arrival date in Canada in 2011 and my spouse arrival date in 2012.

However, in my 2011 tax returns still I have incorrect credits for me and my spouse. I called CRA twice and talked with
agents, and they said since my income in 2011 was too low, even correcting the credits will not make any
difference, so dont write a letter and change the credits you have got.

I will be applying for renewing my PR card in October. When I submit my 2011 tax returns Immigration will
come to know that I have got a credit for myself and my spouse for full year, where as I was resident only for a
part of the year. This could trigger a issue which I dont want. So what I should do? are CRA agents reliable?
Do Immigration check the tax returns in detail?

Please suggest.

PINKORIA

Nov 18, 2013
You can amend your tax return any time , and will get the new copy for it, however as per my thinking you can get the wife's credits even if she was not in Canada for 2011 but you have proof of money transaction for that year under her name