+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Returns for PR outside Canada

Tempestian

Oct 18, 2013
Hi:

I got my PR status and card last year and stayed for couple of months only and flew back to my home country. Since than I did not go to Canada. I don't have any significant residential ties with Canada. But yes, I do have a bank account there. In this case, is it mandatory for me to file my tax returns?

Kindly assist.

Rosie1957

Mar 9, 2014
Residency status for tax purposes is different from being a PR for immigration purposes. If you have no significant residential ties in Canada, then only your income from Canadian sources is taxable in Canada. This might include interest from your bank account in Canada.

Amadan123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Hello Tempestian and Rosie1957,

Agreed with Rosie1957 - taxation in Canada will depend on whether or not you have ties to Canada, things like a house, spouse/depedants, bank accounts, credit cards, property, etc. In addition, even if you did not have these ties but stayed in Canada for more than 183 days, you would be deemed to be a resident of Canada for tax purposes. However, according to the information provided, it does not seem that you fulfill either of these conditions.

If neither of these conditions apply to you, then yes, you are correct, you will not have Canadian tax reporting/payment obligations.

There is a lot more to it, and your case should be studied with all the relevant facts. I hope this helps.

Madan Chartered Accountant team
www.madanca.com

Tempestian

Oct 18, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

The only tie that I have with Canada as of now is my bank account of all the things that are mentioned. Am I supposed to file my tax returns ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tempestian said:
Thanks for the reply.

The only tie that I have with Canada as of now is my bank account of all the things that are mentioned. Am I supposed to file my tax returns ?
You need to submit your previous tax returns when you renew your PR cards. So you might want file a tax return.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
If the non-resident (a visitor) has a savings bank account in Canada - does that person have to file taxes on interest income?

lucky821

Aug 25, 2013
Suin said:
If the non-resident (a visitor) has a savings bank account in Canada - does that person have to file taxes on interest income?
I would like to hear the answer on this question too.