+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

tax return for pensioner

jmjoseph

Mar 24, 2014
hello everyone,

My dad collects a chinese pension and he is a permanent resident in canada.

He stayed with me from Jan 1 to October 31 this year and the only income he collected was his pension.

He went back to China in November where he lives and is a resident.

The tax softwares I used all ask where he lived December 31st, 2013. Since he is back in China, I went to the CRA website and it seems he is a non-resident because his primary residency is in Beijing and has only been to Canada a couple times. My sister wants to write down British columbia because that is where he lived this year. She doesn't quite understand.

My question is, should I put down non-resident or deemed resident and how does this affect his Permanent resident status at all?

Amadan123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Hello,

Based on the information provided, it seems that your father is a non-resident of Canada for tax purposes, because he left Canada in November. He is only a part-year resident, from January to October of 2013.

Please keep in mind that this status is only for tax purposes, and this language does not apply to one's ability to hold a passport/PR card.

A thorough analysis should be done of your father's residential ties to Canada to determine conclusively whether or not he is a resident.

I hope that helps.

Madan Chartered Accountant team
www.madanca.com