+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax return 2013 - residence or non residence

sweetie.sweet

Nov 4, 2009
Kindly help me for my situation.

I am PR of Canada as well as US green card holder.
Live in US currently. I left Canada on Oct 2013 after resigning my work, moved to US as a residence.
Took EI (interstate) since Nov 2013 till today as I havent got the job in US.
Passed Canadian citizenship test on Nov 2014 but I was RQ-ed being of US residence.

I asked my tax preparer to file my 2013 tax return but he was confused as should I be residence of Canada or non residece of Canada. CRA awares that I left Canada and took EI. So, I guess I should be non residence of Canada. Then, he asked me what can be the impact for Canadian citizenship application if I say so or US green card somehow?

Thank you.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You left Canada on Oct 2013 in a taxation year and I assume you lived over 183 days in 2013 thus you are a residence of Canada. You have to file your income tax period ending Dec, 2013 no matter you have any income or not.

Impacting on Citizenship file? Yes or No.. It depends on CIC, if they want they may link that to your residence issues..

sweetie.sweet

Nov 4, 2009
rayman_m said:
You left Canada on Oct 2013 in a taxation year and I assume you lived over 183 days in 2013 thus you are a residence of Canada. You have to file your income tax period ending Dec, 2013 no matter you have any income or not.

Impacting on Citizenship file? Yes or No.. It depends on CIC, if they want they may link that to your residence issues..
Thank you so much. Do I need to use my Canadian address or US address in tax return? Kindly help me. Thanks again.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Use your Canadian mailing address as you are submitting ending date Dec, 31st, 2014.

sweetie.sweet

Nov 4, 2009
rayman_m said:
Use your Canadian mailing address as you are submitting ending date Dec, 31st, 2014.
Thank you very much for all your help. I will contact to my tax preparer today. God bless you...

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
You need to differentiate between residence for immigration purposes and taxation purposes. These two interlink but not necessarily equate. You may be deemed resident for taxation and not immigration.

A good accountant should be able to address this if you provide him with all the details.

Hope this helps.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any one resides in Canada more than 6 month may file income tax as resident. Filing income tax is not mandatory even as a resident of Canada. However, if some one has worked or look for benefits like GST/HST, Child tax, Employment Insurance, capital gain/loss etc. should file the income tax.

dr_majed8835

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
I have a similar question. I have lived in Ontario until mid September, 2013 then I moved to Alberta.

Now I asked my accountant in Ontario since he knows me for 3 years to file my tax return for 2013 using my old address as I lived most of the year in that address.

I have no tax to pay but it is for the purpose of filing the tax return. Is that ok or should I file it through an accountant in Alberta where I lived only the last 2 months of 2013?

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dr_majed8835 said:
I have a similar question. I have lived in Ontario until mid September, 2013 then I moved to Alberta.

Now I asked my accountant in Ontario since he knows me for 3 years to file my tax return for 2013 using my old address as I lived most of the year in that address.

I have no tax to pay but it is for the purpose of filing the tax return. Is that ok or should I file it through an accountant in Alberta where I lived only the last 2 months of 2013?
Yes you should file even you don't have declarable income. Filing from anywhere in Canada is fine using your present address.. Even you can file it online from Turbo or H&R block online tax return which is free under 20000 income level.. Or if u are not confident then should file with a good accountant..