+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax resident question

little_bunny

Jul 9, 2014
Hello

Are there any tax implications when moving GBP from England to Canada? I moved to Canada from England in January 2013 and got my PR in May 2016. The money was sitting in my UK bank and I moved it over to Canada in September 2016 (without converting it to CAD). I received a form from my UK bank yesterday asking for my social security number and some other info to determine where I am a tax resident and it made me think about the money I moved.

I'm not sure at what point I became a tax resident of Canada so any other info on that and possible implications would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
LB

Investocrat

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Winnipeg
You would have become a tax resident of Canada as of January 2013 when you moved here. As per your savings account, tax would have been deducted in England on the interest the account earned. Depending on the differences in tax rate on savings interest between England and Canada, some tax may or may not be due in Canada. I assume there is a tax treaty between the UK and Canada, so it should be easy to sort out. I don’t know if the UK bank can resolve any tax discrepancies, but that would definitely make it easier for you.