+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax residency status

nousername1

Feb 3, 2023
I am trying to determine if I need to file a tax return for the year 2022.
I became a permanent resident of Canada in 2018 and have filed taxes each year since then. However, on November 15, 2021, I left the country for a planned 4-5 month vacation to address personal matters related to my parents' health. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I ended up staying outside of Canada for almost a year and did not return until November 14, 2022. During my absence, I did not own or rent any property in Canada, and I was not employed by any Canadian company. I only rented a storage unit for personal belongings.
As a result, I believe I may be considered a non-resident for tax purposes during that time, how can I check this?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am trying to determine if I need to file a tax return for the year 2022.
I became a permanent resident of Canada in 2018 and have filed taxes each year since then. However, on November 15, 2021, I left the country for a planned 4-5 month vacation to address personal matters related to my parents' health. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I ended up staying outside of Canada for almost a year and did not return until November 14, 2022. During my absence, I did not own or rent any property in Canada, and I was not employed by any Canadian company. I only rented a storage unit for personal belongings.
As a result, I believe I may be considered a non-resident for tax purposes during that time, how can I check this?
You can get an opinion from the Canada Revenue Agency either calling them or send a form.

Reactions: nousername1