+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Requirement for PR Card and Citizenship application

jjjack

Apr 3, 2018
Do I need income / job before applying PR card / Citizenship?

I returned to Vancouver in May, 2017 after leaving the country for 20 years and there was no such thing called PR card at that time. As a returned PR not meeting RO and never have a PR Card, I know that I will have to stay here until May, 2019 before I can apply my PR card and until May, 2020 for Citizenship.

My plan is to
A. apply my first PR card in August, 2019 (someone suggest me to wait for 3 more months before apply)
B. apply my Citizenship in June, 2020 regardless of whether or not I will get my PR card

I found that, in both of the applications, I will have to share my income tax information due to the income tax filing requirement. Does it mean I will need to have certain income or a job before I can apply the PR card or Citizenship?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I found that, in both of the applications, I will have to share my income tax information due to the income tax filing requirement. Does it mean I will need to have certain income or a job before I can apply the PR card or Citizenship?
No, the income tax returns just help to show you were actually residing in Canada during those years. There is no minimum income requirement, the tax returns could all be at $0 income and it would still be fine.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The officer just let me in without even stamp anything in my passport.
Clearly you didn't mention that you were a PR and you must be from a visa exempt country. Did they actually input your name into a computer? Sorry have a chronic illness so havrn't been to a border in a while. Wonder whether you are actually still a PR if your info was put into the conputer and the fact that you were a PR wasn't picked up. Otherwise pretty scary that the computer system is so bad that it didn't pick up that you were a PR. Unfortunately that is also possible.

jjjack

Apr 3, 2018
No, the income tax returns just help to show you were actually residing in Canada during those years. There is no minimum income requirement, the tax returns could all be at $0 income and it would still be fine.
Thanks for the information.

jjjack

Apr 3, 2018
Clearly you didn't mention that you were a PR and you must be from a visa exempt country. Did they actually input your name into a computer? Sorry have a chronic illness so havrn't been to a border in a while. Wonder whether you are actually still a PR if your info was put into the conputer and the fact that you were a PR wasn't picked up. Otherwise pretty scary that the computer system is so bad that it didn't pick up that you were a PR. Unfortunately that is also possible.
Thanks for the concern but I am still a PR. Otherwise, I cannot get my (very low paid) job, driver licence, service card, credit card, and so on after I arrived.

jjjack

Apr 3, 2018
Do I need income / job before applying PR card / Citizenship?

I returned to Vancouver in May, 2017 ... PR not meeting RO and never have a PR Card, ....

My plan is to
A. apply my first PR card in August, 2019 (someone suggest me to wait for 3 more months before apply)
B. apply my Citizenship in June, 2020 regardless of whether or not I will get my PR card
should I really need to wait for additional 3 months before applying PR card?
... but no need to wait, after 3 solid years, before applying Citizenship?

any comments about my plan, please?