+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax reporting in Canada - working in US on H1B

lonewolf19

Apr 24, 2019
Seeking guidance around reporting taxes in Canada.

I am currently on H1-B visa working with an employer in United States. I had applied for Canadian PR via express entry and received my COPR with an expiry date in September 2019.
I plan to visit Canada to initiate the PR card (expected within 60 days from date of entry) sometime this month, June 2019 and return back to the US

Question:
1. Is it mandatory to generate the SIN? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing it now rather than later ?
2) Do I have to file my taxes in Canada for income earned in US in 2020. I do not have any property or lease agreements in Canada.
a. if I do need to file my taxes, can you suggest any tax advisers like HnR block who can do it.

Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

I am currently on H1-B visa working with an employer in United States. I had applied for Canadian PR via express entry and received my COPR with an expiry date in September 2019.
I plan to visit Canada to initiate the PR card (expected within 60 days from date of entry) sometime this month, June 2019 and return back to the US

Question:
1. Is it mandatory to generate the SIN? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing it now rather than later ?
2) Do I have to file my taxes in Canada for income earned in US in 2020. I do not have any property or lease agreements in Canada.
a. if I do need to file my taxes, can you suggest any tax advisers like HnR block who can do it.

Thanks in advance.
1. Not mandatory but you may as well just get it.

2. No.

lonewolf19

Apr 24, 2019

Question:
a. If I do need to file my taxes, can you suggest any tax advisers like HnR block who can do it.
b. If I do not need to file taxes in Canada , do I need to report to CRA of the taxes I filed in the US?

Thanks in advance.