+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Query: Moves to Canada as a PR on July.

jetsons

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Hi all,

I quit my job in US and moved from US to Canada as a PR on 29 July . I have been unemployed in Canada for the entire 2019.
I have received my W2 and know that I will need to file my tax in US( I will be filing it with married filing separate).

My spouse has been living and working in Canada for the entire 2019. He will be filing his Canadian tax return. Do i need to file a tax return in Canada as well, if I haven't had any income? Or do I need to be included in my spouses tax return in Canada.

Its bit confusing for us and not sure how to proceed with Canada tax return and looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

I quit my job in US and moved from US to Canada as a PR on 29 July . I have been unemployed in Canada for the entire 2019.
I have received my W2 and know that I will need to file my tax in US( I will be filing it with married filing separate).

My spouse has been living and working in Canada for the entire 2019. He will be filing his Canadian tax return. Do i need to file a tax return in Canada as well, if I haven't had any income? Or do I need to be included in my spouses tax return in Canada.

Its bit confusing for us and not sure how to proceed with Canada tax return and looking for some guidance.

Thanks.
Yes you should be filing your taxes. Use a software program. It will walk you through the process easily.

jetsons

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
should I be filing my taxes separately or with my spouse for Canada? i don't have any T4 since I didnt have any income for 2019 and was a newcomer