Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Doc's Request.
23-04-2016
So I am planning to get a self-attested gift deed since my dad has agreed to fund my expenses in Canada.

Now my concern is that he has a NRI (non residential Indian) account while I, being a domestic citizen of India, no longer qualify for the NRI status. So in this case, will the money he transfers from his NRI account to my domestic Indian bank account be taxed?

And if yes, is there a way for me to avoid paying this tax? - I mean its pretty ridiculous paying tax on money that belongs to the same family you know...

bestofluck

VIP Member
Aug 11, 2015
LANDED..........
10th June 2017
Inquire about NRI and NRO account. In such account you can deposit from other country and withdraw from India. you still need to Inquire about the details from any Bank like ICICI.

hshringi

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Bangalore, India
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Doc's Request.
23-04-2016
Are there any taxes for any money transfer between two local accounts? I would think if there isn't then there shouldn't be when involving am NRI account either

I'll ofcourse check with ICICI for confirmation as well but I wanted the opinion of anyone that has any previous experience of this here as well.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
hshringi said:
Are there any taxes for any money transfer between two local accounts? I would think if there isn't then there shouldn't be when involving am NRI account either

I'll ofcourse check with ICICI for confirmation as well but I wanted the opinion of anyone that has any previous experience of this here as well.
If the funds are remitted in a currency other than the beneficiary's account currency, then the recipient will have to pay currency conversion charges, and applicable service tax (if any). As far as I know, gift in the form of money transfer to a blood relative is non-taxable in India.

hshringi

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Bangalore, India
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Doc's Request.
23-04-2016
Yeah so I've checked with my dad and the money will indeed be transferred in INR.

Does anyone know if any taxes need to be paid if this was a transaction between two local accounts in India instead - ofcourse between a father and son

bestofluck

VIP Member
Aug 11, 2015
LANDED..........
10th June 2017
hshringi said:
Yeah so I've checked with my dad and the money will indeed be transferred in INR.

Does anyone know if any taxes need to be paid if this was a transaction between two local accounts in India instead - ofcourse between a father and son
if your dad send you money in NRI or NRO account ( make a joint account with your dad), you can just show that account with letter from your dad saying the funds are reserved for your immigration. Tax does not come in picture.

hshringi

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Bangalore, India
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Doc's Request.
23-04-2016