+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax - International Student - No Canadian Income with Overseas income before coming to canada

can_hccp

Nov 5, 2021
Hello,

I'm an international student and has been fulltime student and no Canadian Work/Income.
However, prior to moving here I worked from Home Country. My income was taxed according from Home country and no income when I arrived.
I came here around Oct 2021.
My question is, Do I need to file my home country income, my income before coming here in Canada?

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I'm an international student and has been fulltime student and no Canadian Work/Income.
However, prior to moving here I worked from Home Country. My income was taxed according from Home country and no income when I arrived.
I came here around Oct 2021.
My question is, Do I need to file my home country income, my income before coming here in Canada?

Thank you!
You need to indicate the amount of international income but it won’t be taxed.

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
Not sure I agree. If this is money earned before you moved to Canada, it seems to me that you don't even need to report such income to Canada.

can_hccp

Nov 5, 2021
That's what I thought initially but canuck78 is correct. It needs to be declared but wont be taxed. Just wondering if they will require documentation like maybe the tax return from the country where you earned it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's what I thought initially but canuck78 is correct. It needs to be declared but wont be taxed. Just wondering if they will require documentation like maybe the tax return from the country where you earned it?
Documentation will make your life much easier.

canadawp.india

Sep 7, 2020
In which currency do we have to declare the home country income? CAD or home country currency?