+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax HELP required please

kiwias

Feb 19, 2017
Hi team,

I am a bit new to the Canadian tax laws and I was hoping to discuss with a few questions with you all.

Background:

I am a NZ Citizen in the process of applying for PR to join my Canadian partner (Citizen) in Manitoba, Canada. We have 10 month twin girls born April 2017 in Winnipeg.

Question:

- My partner is only in receipt of the Canada Child Benefit, nothing else i.e. Employment Insurance. Do you know if we will be entitled to the Manitoba Family Tax Credit or is this only available to people who actually work and pay "taxes"?

- Also how does the spouse income work if I was working in Australia during 2017? Is my income eligible to be declared on the Canadian tax return if I didn't pay tax here?

- Is anyone else aware of what she would be able to claim via her tax return? Or is she only entitled to the Canada Child Benefit?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi team,

I am a bit new to the Canadian tax laws and I was hoping to discuss with a few questions with you all.

Background:

I am a NZ Citizen in the process of applying for PR to join my Canadian partner (Citizen) in Manitoba, Canada. We have 10 month twin girls born April 2017 in Winnipeg.

Question:

- My partner is only in receipt of the Canada Child Benefit, nothing else i.e. Employment Insurance. Do you know if we will be entitled to the Manitoba Family Tax Credit or is this only available to people who actually work and pay "taxes"?

- Also how does the spouse income work if I was working in Australia during 2017? Is my income eligible to be declared on the Canadian tax return if I didn't pay tax here?

- Is anyone else aware of what she would be able to claim via her tax return? Or is she only entitled to the Canada Child Benefit?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
From your previous posts, it seems like you became common-law (having lived together 12 consecutive months) several years ago. So did your partner change her tax status with the CRA to common-law? Hopefully she has not been filing as single past few years.

If she changed status to common-law, CRA should have sent her a form to fill out regarding your worldwide income to confirm her eligible child benefit amount.

Your partner can't claim you under the spouse amount, since you are not living with her in Canada and you are supporting yourself.