+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Help 2015// How to claim spouse with no SIN?!

michminn

Aug 26, 2014
Nanaimo, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Miss to Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/09/2014
AOR Received.
05/12/2014
File Transfer...
05/12/2014
Med's Done....
18/03/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waives/US citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 17/6/2015
LANDED..........
Soon... 25/6/2015 !!!!!!!!!!! Anticipated
Hey there,

I have resided in Canada "BC" since March of 2014. Curious now that taxes are due' can my wife claim me? I have of course received conflicting answers. When I called Revenue Canada they stated that I would be able to do this however, I was not clearly given details on how this is possible. So far my research shows that if I put all zeros in the spousal SIN box, I will be fine; I am also aware that I would have to send this in paper format as opposed to E-file.

Any fillers out there with experience in this matter? I am ready to send our taxes in, as I have completed them myself...

Thanks in advance!

****If another topic has already been started on this matter for 2015 or, similar topic different year with same laws as 2015. The link would be appreciated.****

ABCml

Jan 27, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
24-Feb-2014, SponsorshipApproved 01-Apr-2014
File Transfer...
01-Apr-2014 Officially rec'd Beijing 24-May-2014
Med's Done....
29-Dec-2013 "Medical Results rec'd" 01-Apr-2014
Interview........
15-Dec-2014
Passport Req..
at interview
VISA ISSUED...
16-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2014
michminn said:
Hey there,

I have resided in Canada "BC" since March of 2014. Curious now that taxes are due' can my wife claim me? I have of course received conflicting answers. When I called Revenue Canada they stated that I would be able to do this however, I was not clearly given details on how this is possible. So far my research shows that if I put all zeros in the spousal SIN box, I will be fine; I am also aware that I would have to send this in paper format as opposed to E-file.

Any fillers out there with experience in this matter? I am ready to send our taxes in, as I have completed them myself...

Thanks in advance!

****If another topic has already been started on this matter for 2015 or, similar topic different year with same laws as 2015. The link would be appreciated.****
Last year, I claimed my wife (she resided in China) and put all zeros for the SIN - sometime after E-filing (no problem,) I received a letter from the CRA asking for clarification, and a number to call for this.., all was good then - this year she is here, and has a number.

zafari

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Feb-2012
michminn said:
Hey there,

Thanks in advance!
I used studio Tax software, there is check box if ur spouse is non resident. just check that box and it will not ask for ur spouse sin. u can go to next step

michminn

Aug 26, 2014
Nanaimo, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Miss to Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/09/2014
AOR Received.
05/12/2014
File Transfer...
05/12/2014
Med's Done....
18/03/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waives/US citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 17/6/2015
LANDED..........
Soon... 25/6/2015 !!!!!!!!!!! Anticipated
Thank so much folks!

kcorbin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2014
Med's Done....
09-06-2014
michminn said:
Thank so much folks!
Hi Michminn!

We're both in the same boat. I'm new to filing taxes and I prefer learning to do it myself than get an accountant.. =P

I started "residing" in BC last April 2014 and got married in May. my husband (PR) and I (still awaiting my PR) were doing his tax return last night. We used SimpleTax which is soooo easy but I'm not sure if I should/could file a separate tax return online. Or must I file on paper?

I tried calling CRA thru their 1-800number but its just busy everytime. the information about residency on their website is just confusing. I believe I'm considered a resident for tax purposes, right? Even without a SIN/PR yet?

How did you go about with your tax return? Any insight will be helpful!!! :D

sulemanmirza

Aug 7, 2013
Ajax, ON
Visa Office......
London, UK
App. Filed.......
18-June-2014
Doc's Request.
21-May-2015
AOR Received.
12-August-2014
File Transfer...
In process: 20-May-2015
Med's Request
27-May-2015
Med's Done....
DM: 23-Nov-15
Passport Req..
01-Dec-2015 Passport submitted: 02-Dec-2015
VISA ISSUED...
15-Dec-2015
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2015 :)
michminn said:
Hey there,

Thanks in advance!

I just filed my taxes with H&R block , I also mentioned in it that I am married I mentioned about my wife too showed her income as all 0, also there was a category can't exactly remember which one was it in which I selected her status and showed that she is not in Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
sulemanmirza said:
I just filed my taxes with H&R block , I also mentioned in it that I am married I mentioned about my wife too showed her income as all 0, also there was a category can't exactly remember which one was it in which I selected her status and showed that she is not in Canada.
You need to be very careful here, as claiming the spouse amount on your taxes is a very different situation depending on if your spouse is residing in Canada with you, or in some other country.
If spouse is residing in Canada with you, then claiming spousal amount is easy.
If spouse is in another country, then claiming spouse amount is very difficult as you need to provide additional supporting evidence that you are actually fully supporting her. So need copies of money transfers, receipts, and proofs she is not getting support from elsewhere (her own family or government). Only after all this, can you then claim spouse in your own taxes. See another response on the topic here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/claiming-nonresident-spouse-on-taxes-is-it-possible-t277646.0.html

To indicate you are married to CRA, you can usually enter spouse SIN as all 000s, or print and fill in this section by hand and just write in "no SIN, non-resident" or something.