+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax for International Students in Canada

dakota1r

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
I am an international student in Canada and I am also working as a part-time research student in a company.
My employee asked me to fill out the TD1 form.
I have a few questions:

1. should I claim the amount that I received in 2019-2020? or should I include the amount that I would receive in the coming year 2020?

2. I am receiving an award and scholarship from university do I have to claim those? At my school they do not deduct any tax from awards, they just deduct tax from the actual on-campus work such as Teaching assistance.

3. I have been in Canada for a year and a half now, I was filling the forms and giving these forms to HR at university, but really do not know what should I do next, should I send it to the government? where they are meant to be sent?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am an international student in Canada and I am also working as a part-time research student in a company.
My employee asked me to fill out the TD1 form.
I have a few questions:

1. should I claim the amount that I received in 2019-2020? or should I include the amount that I would receive in the coming year 2020?

2. I am receiving an award and scholarship from university do I have to claim those? At my school they do not deduct any tax from awards, they just deduct tax from the actual on-campus work such as Teaching assistance.

3. I have been in Canada for a year and a half now, I was filling the forms and giving these forms to HR at university, but really do not know what should I do next, should I send it to the government? where they are meant to be sent?
1. A TD1 form has nothing to do with what you have received. It is to determine what credits you qualify for so your employer can determine how much tax to deduct.

2. Scholarships have nothing to do with a TD1 form.

3. TD1 forms are given to your employer. You need to file your taxes yourself. I suggest you seek assistance from a tax clinic when they open in a few months.

alexjoseph

Mar 3, 2020
1. A TD1 form has nothing to do with what you have received. It is to determine what credits you qualify for so your employer can determine how much tax to deduct.

2. Scholarships have nothing to do with a TD1 form.

3. TD1 forms are given to your employer. You need to file your taxes yourself. I suggest you seek assistance from a tax clinic when they open in a few months.
Thank you very much for help...