+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax filing requirement in the year I did short landing

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
Hello,

I'm filling my citizenship application which I'll be submitting after I file my 2020 taxes. I also filed my 2019's and 2018's taxes. So that's a total of 3 years.

My question is about the year 2017 in which I did a short landing and received the PR status. I never filed taxes for that year because I was a non-resident and didn't owe money. Should I check Yes or No under the "Required to file" column for 2017?

In other words, are you required to file taxes just because you have a PR status, or do you only file when you owe money? My understanding is that it's the latter but wanted to double-check.

Cheers.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In other words, are you required to file taxes just because you have a PR status, or do you only file when you owe money?
It's a little more complicated than that.

But if you had zero Canadian income that year and spent just days or a few weeks in Canada, and did not establish an in fact residence in Canada during that year, you probably were not required to file a return and can check No, No (not required to file and no, did not file), and that will count as one of the years you were in compliance with the tax filing obligations.

Best to at least review the who-must-file information at the CRA website (easy to find with simple search) to determine if you were required to file a return for that year. (For those with complicated issues, including those with a spouse or dependent residing in Canada that year, consulting with a qualified tax professional can be a good idea . . . not one of those persons barely trained to help individuals file basic returns, but a real professional.)

UNSOLICITED OBSERVATION: warrants noting, with some emphasis, if you were in Canada only for a short time in 2017, you clearly have not been IN Canada much more than three years, so far, if that, and remind you that a significant margin of physical presence over the minimum is a good idea . . . at least a month in my view (other forum participants suggest a week or 10 days). Waiting longer to apply can often actually mean taking the oath of citizenship sooner, not to mention reducing the risk of some rather inconvenient non-routine processing along the way.

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
It's a little more complicated than that.

But if you had zero Canadian income that year and spent just days or a few weeks in Canada, and did not establish an in fact residence in Canada during that year, you probably were not required to file a return and can check No, No (not required to file and no, did not file), and that will count as one of the years you were in compliance with the tax filing obligations.

Best to at least review the who-must-file information at the CRA website (easy to find with simple search) to determine if you were required to file a return for that year. (For those with complicated issues, including those with a spouse or dependent residing in Canada that year, consulting with a qualified tax professional can be a good idea . . . not one of those persons barely trained to help individuals file basic returns, but a real professional.)

UNSOLICITED OBSERVATION: warrants noting, with some emphasis, if you were in Canada only for a short time in 2017, you clearly have not been IN Canada much more than three years, so far, if that, and remind you that a significant margin of physical presence over the minimum is a good idea . . . at least a month in my view (other forum participants suggest a week or 10 days). Waiting longer to apply can often actually mean taking the oath of citizenship sooner, not to mention reducing the risk of some rather inconvenient non-routine processing along the way.
I think I earned something like $15 of interest in my Canadian bank account in 2017 (my only Canadian source of income at that time), so I still wouldn't owe any taxes because it's under the basic personal amount. I found this link and none of the cases mentioned applied to me in the couple of weeks I stayed in Canada in 2017.

Thanks so much for the advice. I will be applying in mid/late April and by that time, I will have over 1125 days, so that's a month. I didn't leave Canada since moving in early 2018.

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
I think I earned something like $15 of interest in my Canadian bank account in 2017 (my only Canadian source of income at that time), so I still wouldn't owe any taxes because it's under the basic personal amount. I found this link and none of the cases mentioned applied to me in the couple of weeks I stayed in Canada in 2017.

Thanks so much for the advice. I will be applying in mid/late April and by that time, I will have over 1125 days, so that's a month. I didn't leave Canada since moving in early 2018.
Hi, Just checking, if you had issues with your application ? I soft landed in 2017 and had no Canada income in 2017 & 18. Hence, didn't file returns in 17 & 18. I came back to Canada in in July of 2019 and filed 2019, 2020 & 2021 returns.