+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Filing Provincial and Federal

muhammad092

Mar 9, 2017
Hello,
I was wondering do we have to file tax for both federal and provincial? I lived in quebec for 2 years , but I always filled for Federal Tax with the CIC. Do i need to file tax with the quebec? I was an ontario permanent resident. Does the CIC needs both federal and provincial (quebec) taxes?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
There is no such thing as an "ontario permanent resident". You are a permanent resident of Canada and your tax filing obligations depend on your primary residence.

If that primary residence is Quebec and you have to file your taxes (which is usually the case if you had income), then you need to file both your federal and your provincial taxes separately for each year residing in Quebec.

If in fact you earned money you owed taxes on while residing in Quebec and you didn't file taxes, then you should see to rectify this situation or this might come back to you in the future in case Revenu Quebec finds out that you didn't follow your filing obligations.

muhammad092

Mar 9, 2017
Thankyou for the reply. I didnt earned any thing while I stayed in Quebec, I only paid tution fees to school in Quebec. My primary residence was Ontario. Do I still need to file taxes? Since, I was non-resident in Quebec.

dkera

Jun 21, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How does this relate to the citizenship section of the forum?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
dkera said:
How does this relate to the citizenship section of the forum?
Because of tax filing requirements for citizenship and I think the OP is concerned that he might face problems when his application is being processed because he missed to file a tax return which is a requirement for citizenship now.

muhammad092 said:
Thankyou for the reply. I didnt earned any thing while I stayed in Quebec, I only paid tution fees to school in Quebec. My primary residence was Ontario. Do I still need to file taxes? Since, I was non-resident in Quebec.
Roughly speaking, I think you are correct. In this case you didn't have to file taxes in Quebec. I assume you filed with the CRA but filed both your Ontario and your federal taxes, right? Because you can't even file only federally when you declare your primary residence in Ontario. Most likely you actually filed the Ontario one, too, without really noticing... :)

I say "roughly speaking" because interprovincial taxation rules can be complicated. But I think if you go to any tax consultant and pay him a fee for a short consultation (there is decent ones out there who would maybe charge you 50 bucks for it) to make sure everything is in order, that might give you additional peace of mind.