+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax filing and GST/HST credit for newcomer

vinay16

Dec 30, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have read many pages for both the topics however, I have few queries. I completed my soft landing in Oct 2019 and I was here for 10 days. I came back on 15th March and is at home since then due to the on-going outbreak of virus.

Could anyone tell me the following things?

1. Do I have to submit tax filing?
2. Do I have to show earning in India for this financial year?
3. Do I have to show properties that I have in India, if it is on my parents' name?
4. Am I eligible for GST/HST credit? If yes, how to do it?
5. As I'm new immigrant, should I visit any service center for filing tax first time as this service is given by the government? or should I visit any paid accountant?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

I have read many pages for both the topics however, I have few queries. I completed my soft landing in Oct 2019 and I was here for 10 days. I came back on 15th March and is at home since then due to the on-going outbreak of virus.

Could anyone tell me the following things?

1. Do I have to submit tax filing?
2. Do I have to show earning in India for this financial year?
3. Do I have to show properties that I have in India, if it is on my parents' name?
4. Am I eligible for GST/HST credit? If yes, how to do it?
5. As I'm new immigrant, should I visit any service center for filing tax first time as this service is given by the government? or should I visit any paid accountant?

Thank you in advance for your reply.
1, 2, 3, 5. You don't file 2019 taxes.

4. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/newcomers-canada-immigrants.html#tbc

Reactions: vinay16

vinay16

Dec 30, 2018
thank you for the reply.

I have gone through the link and found that I need to fill the form. I need to send following docs along with that:

• Record of Landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada - can this be photocopy?
  • Citizenship certificate - I think I don't have this
  • valid temporary or permanent mailing address
  • a void cheque if you are applying for direct deposit - can it be photo copy of void cheque or actual one?
I tried to create CRA - My account but there was an error. Should I contact CRA or is there any intermediate issue?

There is one note saying --
Include the amount of income you earned before you entered Canada on Form RC66SCH and Form RC151.

Where can i can find these forms and do I need to send them along with above ones after filing them?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you for the reply.

I have gone through the link and found that I need to fill the form. I need to send following docs along with that:

• Record of Landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada - can this be photocopy?
  • a void cheque if you are applying for direct deposit - can it be photo copy of void cheque or actual one?
I tried to create CRA - My account but there was an error. Should I contact CRA or is there any intermediate issue?

There is one note saying --
Include the amount of income you earned before you entered Canada on Form RC66SCH and Form RC151.

Where can i can find these forms and do I need to send them along with above ones after filing them?
Have you tried googling this forms?

vinay16

Dec 30, 2018
I have already downloaded them.

I need to fill only first one.

However, I had queries related to the documents which I have posted above.

Also, I couldn't create the account on CRA. So asked about it.

Have you tried googling this forms?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
can anyone please help me regarding above queries?
1. Do I have to submit tax filing? No
2. Do I have to show earning in India for this financial year? Yes you need to declare international earnings
3. Do I have to show properties that I have in India, if it is on my parents' name? No
4. Am I eligible for GST/HST credit? If yes, how to do it? Impossible for us to say
5. As I'm new immigrant, should I visit any service center for filing tax first time as this service is given by the government? or should I visit any paid accountant? You are responsible for filing your own taxes. Tax software is available for a very reasonable cost which makes it very easy to do online unless you have more complex finances. There are also tax preparers like H&R block that you can pay although you should be able to file on your own.

vinay16

Dec 30, 2018
Thank you so much for the reply.

Could you please help me with docs that are needed to be sent with GST/HST credit form?

1. Do I have to submit tax filing? No
2. Do I have to show earning in India for this financial year? Yes you need to declare international earnings
3. Do I have to show properties that I have in India, if it is on my parents' name? No
4. Am I eligible for GST/HST credit? If yes, how to do it? Impossible for us to say
5. As I'm new immigrant, should I visit any service center for filing tax first time as this service is given by the government? or should I visit any paid accountant? You are responsible for filing your own taxes. Tax software is available for a very reasonable cost which makes it very easy to do online unless you have more complex finances. There are also tax preparers like H&R block that you can pay although you should be able to file on your own.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for the reply.

Could you please help me with docs that are needed to be sent with GST/HST credit form?
yes a photocopy is fine

Should be a void cheque not a photocopy.