+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax filing and GST/HST credit for newcomer

vinay16

Star Member
Dec 30, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have read many pages for both the topics however, I have few queries. I completed my soft landing in Oct 2019 and I was here for 10 days. I came back on 15th March and is at home since then due to the on-going outbreak of virus.

Could anyone tell me the following things?

1. Do I have to submit tax filing?
2. Do I have to show earning in India for this financial year?
3. Do I have to show properties that I have in India, if it is on my parents' name?
4. Am I eligible for GST/HST credit? If yes, how to do it?
5. As I'm new immigrant, should I visit any service center for filing tax first time as this service is given by the government? or should I visit any paid accountant?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

I have read many pages for both the topics however, I have few queries. I completed my soft landing in Oct 2019 and I was here for 10 days. I came back on 15th March and is at home since then due to the on-going outbreak of virus.

Could anyone tell me the following things?

1. Do I have to submit tax filing?
2. Do I have to show earning in India for this financial year?
3. Do I have to show properties that I have in India, if it is on my parents' name?
4. Am I eligible for GST/HST credit? If yes, how to do it?
5. As I'm new immigrant, should I visit any service center for filing tax first time as this service is given by the government? or should I visit any paid accountant?

Thank you in advance for your reply.
1, 2, 3, 5. You don't file 2019 taxes.

4. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/newcomers-canada-immigrants.html#tbc

Reactions: vinay16

vinay16

Star Member
Dec 30, 2018
thank you for the reply.

I have gone through the link and found that I need to fill the form. I need to send following docs along with that:

• Record of Landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada - can this be photocopy?
  • Citizenship certificate - I think I don't have this
  • valid temporary or permanent mailing address
  • a void cheque if you are applying for direct deposit - can it be photo copy of void cheque or actual one?
I tried to create CRA - My account but there was an error. Should I contact CRA or is there any intermediate issue?

There is one note saying --
Include the amount of income you earned before you entered Canada on Form RC66SCH and Form RC151.

Where can i can find these forms and do I need to send them along with above ones after filing them?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you for the reply.

I have gone through the link and found that I need to fill the form. I need to send following docs along with that:

• Record of Landing or confirmation of permanent residence issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada - can this be photocopy?
  • Citizenship certificate - I think I don't have this
  • valid temporary or permanent mailing address
  • a void cheque if you are applying for direct deposit - can it be photo copy of void cheque or actual one?
I tried to create CRA - My account but there was an error. Should I contact CRA or is there any intermediate issue?

There is one note saying --
Include the amount of income you earned before you entered Canada on Form RC66SCH and Form RC151.

Where can i can find these forms and do I need to send them along with above ones after filing them?
Have you tried googling this forms?