+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax advice

binastie

Jun 21, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I need help with determining what benefits/reductions I am entitled to for my taxes.

I moved to Canada on PR on Dec 24, 2018 at the time, i worked in a US NGO, however, i lived in Nigeria. My last day of work was Jan 2/3, 2019- which was after i moved. I am single with no kids

I got my first job in Canada in March and was advised not to file my taxes since i had nothing to report. However, afterwards, I got advice again from a professional that i cannot seem to locate that I may have entitlements which i should have claimed by stating the rent, operational costs while i was living in my home country.

So i guess the qs is, is that valid? can i declare expenses from 2018 while i was back home in Nigeria to be able to get some aditional benefits/reductions? if so, what form should i use? if not, should i just file my t4 and trillium benefits and submit for 2020?

thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Everyone,

I need help with determining what benefits/reductions I am entitled to for my taxes.

I moved to Canada on PR on Dec 24, 2018 at the time, i worked in a US NGO, however, i lived in Nigeria. My last day of work was Jan 2/3, 2019- which was after i moved. I am single with no kids

I got my first job in Canada in March and was advised not to file my taxes since i had nothing to report. However, afterwards, I got advice again from a professional that i cannot seem to locate that I may have entitlements which i should have claimed by stating the rent, operational costs while i was living in my home country.

So i guess the qs is, is that valid? can i declare expenses from 2018 while i was back home in Nigeria to be able to get some aditional benefits/reductions? if so, what form should i use? if not, should i just file my t4 and trillium benefits and submit for 2020?

thanks
Of course Canada isn't going to give you any benefits/reductions for the time before you actually lived here.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I highly doubt you are entitled to reduction by using expenses from a different country. This is what I think because I send money to my children overseas and even that I cannot use while I live here. Best to call a reputable accountant or CRA if you wanna be sure.