+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking part time during an academic due to course failure leads to reject PGWP?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

badukboy said:
You got wrong. I called CIC and CIC said my study permit is available till the time on the visa.
My study permit is still available so I can continue studying.

"Assuming" you have finished your course, your study permit expires within 90 days of passing the course.

Before June 2014:

International students who have completed their studies but hold valid study permits can remain legally in Canada until the expiration of their study permit.

After June 2014:

A study permit becomes invalid 90 days following the completion of studies unless the foreign national also possesses a valid work permit or another authorization to remain in Canada.)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-02-12.asp

Shaon

Nov 25, 2017
Hi all. I am new here. I am a full time diploma student in Niagara college. After finishing my first semester I changed my program at the same college at the same level. There is a prerequisite course in my New program. But that will only offer in Fall semester. So in short I will study back to back 4 semesters as a full time student and need to take to that prerequisite course in Fall semester which will be my final semester. Because only that course I need to graduate. Only for that semester I will be part time. Will it have a negative impact on my pgwp? Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all. I am new here. I am a full time diploma student in Niagara college. After finishing my first semester I changed my program at the same college at the same level. There is a prerequisite course in my New program. But that will only offer in Fall semester. So in short I will study back to back 4 semesters as a full time student and need to take to that prerequisite course in Fall semester which will be my final semester. Because only that course I need to graduate. Only for that semester I will be part time. Will it have a negative impact on my pgwp? Thank you.
You can be part time in your last semester.

Shaon

Nov 25, 2017
You can be part time in your last semester.
Oh thank you. I was so worried about this. Yes I will be part time in my last semester for one course which is required to graduate. Unless that I will be full time for rest of the semester. Do you think I should attach a letter of explanation why I will be part time in the final semester? Is there any member of this group who was part time last semester and got pgwp? Thanks.

sherry96

Jan 25, 2018
Ah...I just found this issue. OMG.

I finished BCIT diploma program(125 credits) just before and my study permit expires 31 November 2017.
My story is like this...

Finished 1st semester successfully.
But, failed 3 courses(kicked out from full time) in 2nd semester. - took 1 course in the summer
Took 2 courses in the next semester as part time. Readmission for full time.
Dropped 1 course early to reduce heavy workload and took it in the summer. Finished 3rd semester.
Finished 4th semester and the program with 2 and half years.

I am up to apply for PGWP now and so worried of rejection.
In my case, do I have possibility to reject PGWP?
I would be appreciated of any reply.
Hey I am in a pretty bad situation due to part time semesters.
What all documents did you upload with your application and what did you write in the letter?

Sopunuchi

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
i need help someone...
here is my timeline
came to Canada in 2015 may.. took one course that time in summer
took 5 courses in 2015 sept ( i was doing engineering diploma)
took 4 courses in jan-april 2016 semester
took one course in may summer 2016
took 3 courses in septemr -december semester 2016(was on probation here) minimum for fulltime is 3 courses in my school
did 2 COURSES in jan-april semester 2017 did 2 courses in 2017 may summer semester
did 3 courses in september 2017 semester
did 3 courses in jan-april 2018 semester
no courses in may summer semester 2018
doing 3 courses right now(september-dec 2018) still on probation and plan on getting off it this semester
study permit expires 2019 septemeber ,switching to a degree as i have spent 4 years here failed most courses(about 10) but will need a year plus from now to graduate so i will be extending my study permit by one year from september next year(2019)
my question is will this affect my PGWP application in 2020 may after i graduate ?as i did part time in that 2017 january to april semester only ?i will be fulltime even in my last semester,it was just that one time..
i did not work in that semester as well.i worked 2016 june as fulltime and parttime(10hrs per week) in september to dec 2016 then quit in december and worked again from 2017 may to 2018 may (in 2017 sept to april 2018 i ws working 20-25 hrs but mostly 22 hrs as my manager was acoholic in making the schedule).worked again from may 2018 to now and still working fully parttime...please i need an answer ASAP...thank you so much in advance

Last edited:

imharsh7991

May 6, 2018
I want to take admission in certificate course in BCIT. To take part time certificate course is food for international students or not? I am eligible for work permit after that or not?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I want to take admission in certificate course in BCIT. To take part time certificate course is food for international students or not? I am eligible for work permit after that or not?
1. It is unlikely that you would get a study permit for a part time course.
2. Even if you did, you would not get a PGWP.

hardeep199826

Dec 14, 2018
Hi
I am from Winnipeg. If we failed in our program at collage and we will get another program after 5" months so that 5" months of gap will create any problem in future when we will apply for work permit

JASPRET

Jan 23, 2020
Hi
I am from Winnipeg. If we failed in our program at collage and we will get another program after 5" months so that 5" months of gap will create any problem in future when we will apply for work permit
yes, you do not allow to take leave for more than 150 days. it would be nearly 4 months. you have to enroll in any general course for remain at least a student.
now the solution is that go with a medical supporting document and also a letter from college that confirm that actually your course not be available on that time, for the question of do not take any parttime general (elective) course, you need to clarify you are not able to did study on that time like you sick and have mental stress something like that .

@Kaur48

Sep 22, 2019
Specially, thanks for your kindness, scylla.
I found lots of yr quotes here to help people. You should be a great guy.
Yes, those people who write about refusal PGWP story are really disappointed and mad.

Anyway, after searching this issue(taking 1 semester with part time study between 2nd and 3rd semester),
I found almost no case like mine. That means it is generally ok as long as someone has pursued their study.
Yes, it's all up to CIC examiner. No one can judge with a certain result.

I will prepare some helpful documents from my school before I submit.
And I will write my story here for other people and I wish other guys do it for case study for other people.
It will definitely be benefit to other guys who have same situation in the future.

Hope you have great 2017. Thanks!
Hi dear
I am in the same situation . I am in my second last semester i have 3 couses and i am on academic probation. I am thinking to withdraw 1 course so my GPA wont be low. Can you suggest is this okkk if i will be part time just One semester!

ashleee

Oct 7, 2020
Fortunately, I got 3 years PGWP. thanks for your concern.
Hello, I am in the same situation: I ended up with 2 part-time semesters and will be applying for PGWP soon. How did you get the 3 year PGWP: did you attach letter of explanation? Can you give me some idea of what you said in the letter? I am really worried about not getting PGWP. Thanks!