+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking first full driving license - Toronto

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
Hi all,

I will be landing early next year and one of my main "immediate" projects is to get a driving license.

I am in my late twenties but have mostly been living in megalopolis cities (Singapore, Tokyo..) where public transport networks are huge and suffice for daily use. Also, getting a driving license in these cities is usually a long, difficult and expensive process. So anyway, this will be my first time to obtain a driving license.

I have read through Ontario's government website and wondering if there are any tips I am not aware of. The reason why I'm asking is because as new immigrants, my partner and I do not know people in Canada and we understand you need someone with a minimum of 4 years driving experience if you want to drive while holding the G1 license.

So technically, the timeline to get the full license (the only way for us to be able to drive) would be:

- Study traffic laws and pass the exam -> which will give me a G1 license
- From G1 license, we are not allowed to drive alone for at least 8 months
- 8 months later, we have the opportunity to take a "driver education course"
- Once this "driver education course" is achieved, we will then be able to have a try at the driving exam and pass the G2 license, which will allow us to drive

Is that the fastest way to get the license?

Appreciate any advice if you've been through the same situation.

Thanks
matt

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Correct
Incorrect. You can sign up for driver education course once you have G1. If you take an accredited course, you can take road test after 8 months, if you don't take a course, you need to wait for a year before you can take your road test. Since you've never driven before, you should take a course.
You CAN'T drive alone with a G1, doesn't matter how long you've had it.
Once you pass road test, you get your G2 licence, then you can drive alone. G2 is valid for 5 years, you need to take a second road test before it expires for a full G licence

Reactions: mattjp1

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Correct
Incorrect. You can sign up for driver education course once you have G1. If you take an accredited course, you can take road test after 8 months, if you don't take a course, you need to wait for a year before you can take your road test. Since you've never driven before, you should take a course.
You CAN'T drive alone with a G1, doesn't matter how long you've had it.
Once you pass road test, you get your G2 licence, then you can drive alone. G2 is valid for 5 years, you need to take a second road test before it expires for a full G licence
Correction,

You have to finish whole process - from getting G1 to obtaining full G within 5 years. If you fail to do so, you will have to restart.
So both your G1 and you G2 will have validity 5 years from obtaining you G1 and not 5 years each.

Attending a driving school is not a must if you manage to find somebody who has his full G licence for more than 4 years and is willing to supervise you (sit in the front passenger seat). However because of the insurance system, usually nobody except your closest family is willing to take that risk (if you crash their car while driving their insurance will rise significantly). Hence most people end up in a driving school.

Reactions: mattjp1

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
Thank you guys for the replies/corrections.

So we can get the G2 license in 8 months, better start early!