+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking citizenship test in Mississauga next week, noticed error

sirsamsteele

Jan 20, 2015
Hello, your advice is greatly appreciated: So, I applied for citizenship with a lot of time buffer on my application. I had at least 11 months 'extra' time, ie. had calculated a total of 28 days out of Canada in 4 years. My application went through REALLY quickly. Timeline below:

Sent in Aug.16
AOR Aug. 26, along with Discover Canada guide
Processing started Oct. 27
Notice to appear for test Jan. 6

I'm taking the test on Jan. 30! So, I just started to get all my original documents together, and in doing this, I noticed that I had put the wrong date down for one of my trips to the States! Instead of putting Dec. 29, 2013, I stupidly put down Jan. 2, 2014. In terms of my residency calculation, this actually means that I was in Canada MORE days than I originally thought by a margin of +4 days. I have a boarding pass from that date that proves I was in Canada, but there is no passport stamp because now in Pearson they don't really stamp, you just go through those machines, and I simply put the Jan. 2 date based on memory.

What do I do?? Do I attend my test next week with the boarding pass and a written statement and say I messed up but I have this boarding pass as proof? If I get RQ'ed, I guess there's no helping that, but what do you guys think will decrease my chances for getting the RQ? Everything else (supporting docs including marriage certificate, all my rental agreements, all my notice of assessments) was on point!

I am really losing sleep over this guys.

Canadian4ever

Nov 30, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't worry about it. I was in your shoes five weeks ago. What I brought to the test/ interview:

- Revised signed residence calculation sheet

The officer was chatting with me and checking my passport for all the custom stamps. I had 17 trips so she didn't go through each one of them. I actually brought to her attention about the typos I made in the original residence calculation sheet. She was happy with all supporting docs and invited me to the Oath.

So good luck and be confident. Your journey is almost over!

sirsamsteele

Jan 20, 2015
Thank you so much for your reply! This vote of confidence is very much appreciated, I've been really stressing it, as I know as your fate is all dependent on the officer. I will definitely bring my revised residence calculation.

Canadian4ever said:
Don't worry about it. I was in your shoes three weeks ago. What I brought to the test/ interview with me:

- Revised signed residence calculation sheet

The officer was chatting with me and checking my passport for all the custom stamps. I had 17 trips so she didn't go through each one of them. I actually brought to her attention about the typos I made in the original residence calculation sheet. She was happy with all supporting docs and invited me to the Oath.

So good luck and be confident. Your journey is almost over!

NSBoy902

Star Member
Jun 30, 2013
sirsamsteele said:
Hello, your advice is greatly appreciated: So, I applied for citizenship with a lot of time buffer on my application. I had at least 11 months 'extra' time, ie. had calculated a total of 28 days out of Canada in 4 years. My application went through REALLY quickly. Timeline below:

Sent in Aug.16
AOR Aug. 26, along with Discover Canada guide
Processing started Oct. 27
Notice to appear for test Jan. 6

I'm taking the test on Jan. 30! So, I just started to get all my original documents together, and in doing this, I noticed that I had put the wrong date down for one of my trips to the States! Instead of putting Dec. 29, 2013, I stupidly put down Jan. 2, 2014. In terms of my residency calculation, this actually means that I was in Canada MORE days than I originally thought by a margin of +4 days. I have a boarding pass from that date that proves I was in Canada, but there is no passport stamp because now in Pearson they don't really stamp, you just go through those machines, and I simply put the Jan. 2 date based on memory.

What do I do?? Do I attend my test next week with the boarding pass and a written statement and say I messed up but I have this boarding pass as proof? If I get RQ'ed, I guess there's no helping that, but what do you guys think will decrease my chances for getting the RQ? Everything else (supporting docs including marriage certificate, all my rental agreements, all my notice of assessments) was on point!

I am really losing sleep over this guys.

With 11 months buffer, I would not worry at all. I believe you just fat-fingered. If you were short, that's different.

I wish you just used the online calculator and this would have not happened where you just enter your first day to come to Canada, etc.