+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking bets on PR Renewal

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
I sent in my application for PR card renewal marked urgent last week. it was received on 5/11 and I received email confirmation on 5/16 with Decision Made on 5/17. What are the chances it has been processed and approved in a day vs being kicked back for some reason?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I sent in my application for PR card renewal marked urgent last week. it was received on 5/11 and I received email confirmation on 5/16 with Decision Made on 5/17. What are the chances it has been processed and approved in a day vs being kicked back for some reason?
Decision made should mean they've made a decision (either approved or refused). As long as you meet RO, it should be an approval. There should be no reason for a refusal.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I concur with @scylla

Just curious...what was your reason for requesting Urgent Processing?

Urgent processing of a permanent resident card

To qualify for urgent permanent resident (PR) card processing, you must be travelling within the next three months due to:
  • a job opportunity
  • your own serious illness
  • the death of a family member
  • work related to your current job
  • the serious illness of a family member
Even if you qualify, we can’t guarantee we’ll process your application urgently or that you’ll get your PR card on time. See the current processing times for PR cards.
---

I suspect that most choosing `work related to your current job' are simply taking a much needed vacation and `need to get back to Canada for work'.

Gotta love that last part about `no guarantee'...even if you qualify! LOL!

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
I concur with @scylla

Just curious...what was your reason for requesting Urgent Processing?

Urgent processing of a permanent resident card

To qualify for urgent permanent resident (PR) card processing, you must be travelling within the next three months due to:
  • a job opportunity
  • your own serious illness
  • the death of a family member
  • work related to your current job
  • the serious illness of a family member
Even if you qualify, we can’t guarantee we’ll process your application urgently or that you’ll get your PR card on time. See the current processing times for PR cards.
---

I suspect that most choosing `work related to your current job' are simply taking a much needed vacation and `need to get back to Canada for work'.

Gotta love that last part about `no guarantee'...even if you qualify! LOL!
A couple reasons.
1. I didn't realize how long it could potentially take to renew and only caught on that I needed to get my application in just 3 months prior.
2. I travel very frequently for business and need to be on constant standby to travel outside of Canada at short notice. I provided a supporting letter from my company HR explaining this.

Hoping that I didn't screw up the application and it's being returned. I had to add in an extra page for trips outside of Canada. If is has been approved in a day I will be super happy and impressed.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A couple reasons.
1. I didn't realize how long it could potentially take to renew and only caught on that I needed to get my application in just 3 months prior.
2. I travel very frequently for business and need to be on constant standby to travel outside of Canada at short notice. I provided a supporting letter from my company HR explaining this.

Hoping that I didn't screw up the application and it's being returned. I had to add in an extra page for trips outside of Canada. If is has been approved in a day I will be super happy and impressed.
Why cut it close rather than apply early in advance (9 months before the expiry date)?

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
Very happy to report that I received my new card. From shipping of PR renewal application to new card in hand, 16 days.

I am very impressed. Now to start working on my citizenship application.