28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
Hi all,

I'm in the process of packing my border-town household up for the big move to BC. I've seen UHauls going through the boders, and I've got my Goods to Follow paperwork from my landing day.

Anyone have a story? I'm planning on using the Pacific Highway (Truck) Crossing.

Thanks!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
No story for BC, but I drove a uhaul through Queenston/Lewiston into Ontario after midnight in a snow storm. Stopped to show my paperwork, the officer asked if that was everything on my list (no, I still had to bring my car) and was a carrying anything not on my list (yes, Christmas presents). They never even opened the uhaul. Stamped my form and sent me on my way.

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
AllisonVSC said:
No story for BC, but I drove a uhaul through Queenston/Lewiston into Ontario after midnight in a snow storm. Stopped to show my paperwork, the officer asked if that was everything on my list (no, I still had to bring my car) and was a carrying anything not on my list (yes, Christmas presents). They never even opened the uhaul. Stamped my form and sent me on my way.
Thank you, Allison! I think it will go like that for me too. I looked into pro movers and it was going to be $2K for a 45-minute move! No ways! I figure I can get movers to load the uHaul in the US, and then again local mover to unload in BC for a quarter of that. Sheesh!

Did you rent the uHaul in the US, and turn it into a Canadian site?

Thanks!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Yes, I did. I rented in South Carolina and returned it in Mississauga ON.

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
Allison, you've been terrific! I'll do the same, then, in WA state to BC. There are depots for uHauls in both our towns.

If I may pick the experience brain one final time... if you incrementally bring things from your goods to follow list, do they amend it as you go? I have these visions of the border officers scratching off my line item for household effects when I take my framed photos up today, leaving me no more allowance for the rest of them when I do the big move.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Funny, I had visions of the customs officer wanting to see a specific item on my list and me crawling through the back of the truck trying to find the right box!!

I do not recall the officer checking off things on my list. He asked if I had finished bringing my goods and I said I still needed to import my car. He may have noted that on the form (I can't remember but will look it up if you really want me too). He told me to be sure to bring the form when I imported the last bit. When I finished, they stamped it completed. It really wasn't a big hassle.

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
Allison, thank you!

This is perfect for my wondering mind!

I am going to do it all in a couple of weeks from now.

Your advice, and this board have seriously assisted more than 75% of my quest. We even had a top notch immigration lawyer who did not know as much as this board did!

Maple3

Star Member
Feb 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2011 Recieved 16-6- 2011
AOR Received.
26-08-2011
File Transfer...
05-08-2011
Med's Done....
02-05-2011
Passport Req..
19-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2011
eeeeeeeelectric said:
Allison, thank you!

This is perfect for my wondering mind!

I am going to do it all in a couple of weeks from now.

Your advice, and this board have seriously assisted more than 75% of my quest. We even had a top notch immigration lawyer who did not know as much as this board did!

I have to AGREE ..Allison is the best! :) She has helped me so much, I don't know what I would have done without her help! :)

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Thanks you two. The reason I stick around the forum is to help others. I know how stressful and confusing this process can be!

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eeeeeeeelectric said:
Hi all,

I'm in the process of packing my border-town household up for the big move to BC. I've seen UHauls going through the boders, and I've got my Goods to Follow paperwork from my landing day.

Anyone have a story? I'm planning on using the Pacific Highway (Truck) Crossing.

Thanks!
It's uncanny how similar our circumstances were to yours. My wife and I made the crossing in April 2010 and just as yours was, our move was also "local" ... Lynden, WA (north of Bellingham) to downtown Vancouver! Our move actually began in Ohio more than one full year earlier but since we're both retired and don't have any employment issues to worry about, we decided to make an "interim move" to facilitate the ultimate move to Vancouver. We temporarily rented a home for a year in Lynden, just 3 km south of the border. It was truly a fantastic decision and allowed us to leisurely get to know the entire lower-mainland. Just after our arrival in Lynden we applied for NEXUS cards which made our frequent (often 4 or 5 times a week) jaunts into Canada much easier and saved us many hundreds of hours in border-crossing wait times. By the time we actually made the final move we had checking and savings accounts as well as credit cards already set up at TD Bank. Because we spent a considerable amount of time house hunting, we were able to find the right place for us with absolutely no stress or pressure to hurriedly sign a lease. Within three days of our arrival we had BC driving licenses (simple swap out for our old Washington state licenses), SINs, auto and rental insurance, and had submitted applications for our MSP cards.

A few thoughts ...
1. We rented a U-Haul truck for the move, rather than a trailer. As a result, it was significantly less expensive for us to rent the truck in and return it to Bellingham rather than dropping it off somewhere on the north side of the border. Not sure if trailer rentals involves the same price premium as truck rentals when dropping off elsewhere (especially out of the country.) Worth checking into, though.
2. We used Peace Arch (I-5/Hwy 99) rather than Pac Highway crossing. No commercial traffic allowed at Peace Arch but personal moves are exempt. Our rationale was that they're less well-equipped to handle big loads/cargo at Peace Arch so potentially lower odds of a thorough search/delay. As it turned out, no one ever even open the truck to look into the back. We were throuugh in 15 minutes.
3. Not sure if our NEXUS cards made it go more smoothly.
4. Like you, we had someone load the truck for us in Lynden and then arranged for another crew to unload the truck in Vancouver. If you're moving into a downtown condo/high-rise, don't forget to make arrangements with the building strata/concierge well in advance. In our case were given a 4-hour block of time for the unloading. The building's largest elevator was matted and reserved for our exclusive use during the timeframe locked down so that it could only be used between the loading dock garage level and our floor. Had a great crew of four that did all the unloading/carrying. Total came to $300 (including a very nice tip).
5. If you're bringing a private vehicle, I think you have to use Pac Highway because the U.S. only allows exportation there. Make sure you look into not just Canada's importation requirements but also the U.S. export requirements as well. U.S. needs vehicle paperwork at least 48 hours ahead of time (faxed documents are OK). We elected to wait with exporting our two vehcles and did that a few weeks later, separate from the move itself.
6. We made the actual crossing at around midnite. Stayed in a hotel overnite with truck in a well-lit and secured lot, then met the unloaders at our apartment building in time for the beginning of our four-hour moving window (8 a.m. to noon). Afterwards we dropped the truck off in Bellingham, had a nice dinner at the White Spot and were still back "home" in Vancouver by 7:00p.m. that same evening! A very busy day bvut everything went very smoothly.

Best of luck with your move!

bvelten

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks for all the great help with this topic. I am moving to Toronto in August from North Carolina - but I am not moving as a resident, but rather as a student, which means I have some different forms. I was wondering if anyone knows if I have to go through the car import/export process as a temporary resident if the car will come back with me at the end of my period in Canada?

Also, Allison - you said you moved from S. Carolina to Mississagua... what border crossing did you take? I'm assuming I'll be taking a similar route to get to Toronto, but I wasn't sure what border station I'd be crossing at. Do you need to make a reservation with the border crossing if you are coming through with a UHaul truck?

Thanks!!