+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking a semster drop and going to other uniuversity: Help needed Urgent

sam4187

Apr 10, 2013
Hello,

I am an international full time PhD student in my 2nd year. I need to attend a 6 month course at UBC and for that I am planning to take two semsester leave. But my university and my professor will not grant me a leave if they know that I am going to another university to attend another course. So, I am planning to show them reason about my parents bad heath back in India. So, is there any legal consequences, if I take two semester leave by giving my present university a reason to visit India but I stay in Canada to pursue a course at another university?
Please help!
Further, my wife is on my dependent visa and has workpermit because of it and actively working. So, If I take two semester leave, can my wife still continue to work. My study permit is valid upto 2016 and same is true for my wife's work permit as it has the same date as on my study permit.

Thank you for your help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I can help you with your second question. If you stop studying - your wife needs to stop working. Her open work permit is only good as long as you remain in school.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, is there any legal consequences, if I take two semester leave by giving my present university a reason to visit India but I stay in Canada to pursue a course at another university?
To stay legaly on your SP you have to "study", that means you need an acceptance letter from your "another" university. And your first university will inform CIC about your "leave". Then you come back to your "first university" again and it will mix up everything in your immigration file.

It will also show CIC that you are a liar. If you lied to your professor you will definitely lie to CIC if you have a chance.

maximin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
If this course is strongly related to your current research topic and UBC is giving you funding and you are planning to come back to your university, than it is better to talk with your supervisor and he can help you with "leave".

If this course is a kind of professional development course than search something similar in your university or in colleges in your city with part time /online option.

The main point is do not leave like you described, it may affect your future career and it will definitely affect your immigration.

sam4187

Apr 10, 2013
I am not stopping studying. I am thinking to take a semester leave from my present program which will be a temporary halt in my studies from my present program. But I will be studying different program at another university during same time. So, basically there will not be any period while I am not studying. For example: I will take leave for summer semester from my present university starting from 1st may but I will be starting another program at different university from 29 th April. I found that study permits are university independent means as long as you have a valid study permit, you can change programs without applying a new one. So, I am thinking that as there will not be any gap, so it shouldn't be a problem for my wife's work who is my dependent. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you for your help!

sam4187

Apr 10, 2013
Regina said:
To stay legaly on your SP you have to "study", you need an acceptance letter from your "another" university. And your first university will inform CIC about your "leave". Then you come back to your "first university" again and it will mix up everything in your immigration file.

It will also show CIC that you are a liar. If you lied to your professor you will definitely lie to CIC if you have a chance.
Thank you for your reply. But how my present university and my professor going to know that I am in canada attending another program? Further, regarding CIC, I understand that my present university needs to report about my leave but at the same time I am attending another university so, I am not enrolled full time in two different university at the same time anyway . So, I thought it should be fine with CIC. My thinking is even my present university let CIC know about my leave, neither my university or CIC will be interested in former sharing reason for the leave with later. That's what my understanding was! Please correct me if I am wrong. I know it's playing with rules around but I have a feeling that it doesn't involve any breaking of them. Experts please share your opinion. Thank you.

maximin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
When you will apply for immigration based on your studies in Canada, CIC will ask you to sign authorization form allowing them to contact your university in order to verify information you provide in your application.

Moreover, for PGWP you will have to submit your transcripts or official letter from university. Both of these documents should indicate active semesters you were enrolled.

I think the best you can do is to call CIC and ask if it is violation to do two programs the way you describe and whether you need permission from your present university.

This is my non-expert opinion.

sam4187

Apr 10, 2013
maximin said:
When you will apply for immigration based on your studies in Canada, CIC will ask you to sign authorization form allowing them to contact your university in order to verify information you provide in your application.

Moreover, for PGWP you will have to submit your transcripts or official letter from university. Both of these documents should indicate active semesters you were enrolled.

I think the best you can do is to call CIC and ask if it is violation to do two programs the way you describe and whether you need permission from your present university.

This is my non-expert opinion.
Thank you for your opinion, I didn't mean to be rude. I am feeling the issue is little complex but you are right that best thing to do is ask CIC about my situation. Thanks again!