+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking a parent along

PBSahni

Feb 15, 2018
Hi,

I received CoPR and visa stamped last week. I am the primary applicant and have my husband and kid are the dependants. We hope to travel by next month. We wish to take my father along with us. He is a retired person with no source of income here. How much money does he need to have in his account? What are the other things required to make his case stronger?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

I received CoPR and visa stamped last week. I am the primary applicant and have my husband and kid are the dependants. We hope to travel by next month. We wish to take my father along with us. He is a retired person with no source of income here. How much money does he need to have in his account? What are the other things required to make his case stronger?
What do you mean by "We wish to take my father along with us."? For what purpose and for how long?

I question the wisdom of taking other family members during your initial landing in Canada. It's likely to be stressful enough, without adding to the problems that you are going to face getting established...

PBSahni

Feb 15, 2018
What do you mean by "We wish to take my father along with us."? For what purpose and for how long?

I question the wisdom of taking other family members during your initial landing in Canada. It's likely to be stressful enough, without adding to the problems that you are going to face getting established...
Our baby is too small. And he is quite attached to my father. So we were thinking of taking him along for a smooth transition.

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019

I think what @PBSahni is trying to say is that she'd want her father to be there on a visitor's visa.

Our baby is too small. And he is quite attached to my father. So we were thinking of taking him along for a smooth transition.
I believe it's a good idea, but you need to also take on @zardoz 's advice. It can get stressful finding a job and settling down there even when your father is in Canada.

That said, you need to apply for a visitor's visa for him. I'm not too sure about the requirements, you'll need to research yourselves, but I'd expect that they'll be fine if you can support him through your funds as he's not earning. Plus, you need to give IRCC a strong reason that your father will return to Canada after XX months.

How you fulfill these is upto you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

To be approved, your father needs to demonstrate he has strong ties to his home country and has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. Best option is for him to apply for the visitor visa after you have moved to Canada and have lived in Canada for several months. He should request a short visit (2-3 weeks).