+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Take the online citizenship test at Canadian consulate abroad?

bourney0

Aug 9, 2020
Since the online citizenship exam must be taken while physically on Canadian soil, how about if one were to take the exam while in a Canadian consulate?

Suppose the consulate were to sign a paper certifying that the person was physically present during the exam?

Me and my wife are abroad and she just received her invite. We are prepared to return to Canada but are not looking forward to the onerous entry requirements.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Since the online citizenship exam must be taken while physically on Canadian soil, how about if one were to take the exam while in a Canadian consulate?

Suppose the consulate were to sign a paper certifying that the person was physically present during the exam?

Me and my wife are abroad and she just received her invite. We are prepared to return to Canada but are not looking forward to the onerous entry requirements.
I think coming back is your only option. Consulate is not Canadian soil and would not be considered as "physically present in Canada".

Reactions: carl321

blingyrie

May 10, 2017

Great question for IRCC ...call them and share their response here for others.

mirko.alilovic

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
AOR Received.
28-07-2015
Med's Request
23-12-2015
Med's Done....
08-01-2016

As an alternative you could fly to the US, pick up a one way rental from U-Haul and drive across the border.

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
I think coming back is your only option. Consulate is not Canadian soil and would not be considered as "physically present in Canada".
A Canadian consulate is Canada de jure, but for the purposes of test taking I doubt they would be making concessions. Secondly with most if not all visa processes outsourced to VFS or whatever their name is I'd get a picnick chair and some popcorn to see how one would be trying to get to the consulate not being a citizen...
Thirdly, if I were IRCC I would immediately put anyone with such an accommodation request on a full RQ... No questions asked

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
A Canadian consulate is Canada de jure, but for the purposes of test taking I doubt they would be making concessions. Secondly with most if not all visa processes outsourced to VFS or whatever their name is I'd get a picnick chair and some popcorn to see how one would be trying to get to the consulate not being a citizen...
Thirdly, if I were IRCC I would immediately put anyone with such an accommodation request on a full RQ... No questions asked
1) Canadian consulate is Canada de jure but not considered Canadian soil. The Canadian consulates around the world, as well as other foreign-country consulates, have special treatments within the host country, such as taxation exemption, own rights for security etc, but does not constitute an extension of the land of Canada into the hosting country.

2) consulates are also highly guarded buildings where only people who are authorized can access the facilities. Imagine granting access to every single test-taker applicant overseas. That’s logistically and economically inviable and more importantly, a huge security threat.

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
1) Canadian consulate is Canada de jure but not considered Canadian soil. The Canadian consulates around the world, as well as other foreign-country consulates, have special treatments within the host country, such as taxation exemption, own rights for security etc, but does not constitute an extension of the land of Canada into the hosting country.

I can foresee someone suggesting to buy and export a couple of bags of blackearth from Canadian Tire, scatter it on the floor of a consulate overseas to get over this injust mishap... technically this would constitute Canadian soil on Canadian territory...

Reactions: novascotia27

mirko.alilovic

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
AOR Received.
28-07-2015
Med's Request
23-12-2015
Med's Done....
08-01-2016
U-Haul? I die. Lmao. True though, rental cars are hard to come by now
What's so funny mate? It's perfectly doable, in fact, a one way pick up truck rental from U-Haul would cost way less than from any car rental agencies (by the way they no longer allow cross border drop offs while U-Haul does).

adey786

Jun 29, 2010
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-01-16
Doc's Request.
13-01-16
Nomination.....
08-12-15
AOR Received.
05-01-16
File Transfer...
03-03-16
Med's Done....
13-01-16
Passport Req..
08-05-16
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-16

Why dont you call IRCC and inform about your plan so they can accommodate your request. You have asked an excellent question, we deserve to know the answer :)

Or even easier is : tell IRCC that you are abroad so you cant take test until you are back in Canada in few months or so. By vacating your spot, you will do a favor to 2 citizenship applicants who are already in Canada and can happily take the citizenship test. You can do it :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

The conditions to receive citizenship are pretty minimal. Under Trudeau you don't even have to remain in Canada after applying so I can't imagine the government will waive the requirement to be in Canada to take the test and the oath. Very small requests in the grand scheme of things.

adey786

Jun 29, 2010
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-01-16
Doc's Request.
13-01-16
Nomination.....
08-12-15
AOR Received.
05-01-16
File Transfer...
03-03-16
Med's Done....
13-01-16
Passport Req..
08-05-16
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-16
You're right. I stand corrected. Thanks.

And thanks to the rest for your constructive comments. I particularly like the U-Haul idea. We'll look into it.

All the best.

Keep in mind if you are just stepping in and out for the test, you will have to come again for interview and come again for Oath.

So U-Haul × 3.

Reactions: SSA36

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
You're right. I stand corrected. Thanks.

And thanks to the rest for your constructive comments. I particularly like the U-Haul idea. We'll look into it.
I don't think the U-Haul idea will work. I believe you need to have a quarantine plan at the border i.e., show hotel bookings and stay there to take the PCR test. Unless circumstances have changed, and someone here can correct me.