+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Syrian family living in the US seeking help to move to Canada as refugee

SEEKING_PEACE

Apr 12, 2017
Given that you can live abroad without needing asylum why would they not be able to live with you? Asylum shopping and the fact that you seem to be living and working in the UAE and do not require asylum would likely be the reason they were refused.
Yes I'm currently living and working in the UAE on temporary basis "yearly contract" which does not have any certainty of continuing to live here especially since there had been so many deportation from the UAE only for holding Syrian Nationality "you can search on google incidents of such" which does not leave any choice for us but going to Syria.

Moreover, all my children were born here in the UAE and when I tried to get my 19-year old son a visa even to visit I could not get him a visa only because he's holding Syrian Travel Document. Just put yourself in my situation and help me out; with a Syrian Travel Document where do I get to see my children other that the death zone "Syria"

SEEKING_PEACE

Apr 12, 2017
The UAE does not have any sort of permanent residence or a path to citizenship. All non-citizens are temporary residents who are sponsored by an employer and live on renewable 1 or 2 year permits. If you loose your job, your visa gets cancelled and you get sent back home, regardless of where that home may be.

As per current regulations, male children above 18 can't be sponsored by their parents.
Thank you for highlighting these facts that are unfortunately not known fof others.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Regardless of your reasons (myself or no one else here really gets to decide if they are valid or not), Malaysia might be a possibility for you to meet your family. They seem to accept refugee travel documents for visas and Syrians are visa free. Doubtful that Canada or other western countries would be a viable option given your status and the concern you would claim assylum.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-travel-document-holder-get-singapore-and-malaysia-visa-easily.346679/

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I'm currently living and working in the UAE on temporary basis "yearly contract" which does not have any certainty of continuing to live here especially since there had been so many deportation from the UAE only for holding Syrian Nationality "you can search on google incidents of such" which does not leave any choice for us but going to Syria.

Moreover, all my children were born here in the UAE and when I tried to get my 19-year old son a visa even to visit I could not get him a visa only because he's holding Syrian Travel Document. Just put yourself in my situation and help me out; with a Syrian Travel Document where do I get to see my children other that the death zone "Syria"
Should clarify my comment. As the head of the household, income earner and a male, the optics of saying that you don't need asylum but the rest of your family does points to your family have other options. You and your eldest son would likely be most at risk due to army conscription. Your eldest son would have probably received asylum on his own. Not sure of the details of your US application but their also may be trying to reinforce that one should wait to hear about their own asylum case in the US before heading to Canada.

R

rish888

I do agree with @canuck78 that your family claiming asylum while you continue to work in Dubai is not going to look good.

My recommendation is for your family to stay in the US and wait to hear the outcome of their claim. As some others have pointed out you could look at third countries where all of you could travel to and meet.

If I may ask, why is it that you haven't left the UAE and claimed asylum with your family? After all, aren't you at risk too?

Last edited by a moderator:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also missed the point that all your children were born in the UAE. Just explaining why your application was probably refused. You remain in the UAE where your family has probably lived for 20 years and you send them to claim asylum in the US and then in Canada. Makes no sense why they need asylum but you don't. Your son certainly needed asylum and should have gone on his own. As a young male who couldn't stay in the UAE and would have had to do military service that makes sense. Unfortunately you are using asylum as a back-up plan when you haven't been living in Syria for quite some time. I am just trying to be honest but I expect your family may have difficulty getting asylum.

Reactions: rish888
R

rish888

I just read today that the US has extended TPS for Syrians who arrived pre-2016. Given that they have some sort of protection is the US , I just don't see Canada being successful. Much better for them to stay put in the States.

I don't intend for this to be taken the wrong way, I'm just playing devil's advocate:

I'd say your trying to secure your family's future in a Western country by sending them to the US while you yourself are staying in the UAE for a comfy tax-free salary and good standard of living and in the event of you retiring/loosing your job they can sponsor you.

Your son is a different story and he surely needs asylum, but if you're staying in the UAE I don't see why your wife would need protection given that she can stay as your dependent.

Even if I'm wrong, this is the conclusion that most would come to which is why I believe their claim was denied. Even if the claim is genuine, the optics are not good at all.

SEEKING_PEACE

Apr 12, 2017
I just read today that the US has extended TPS for Syrians who arrived pre-2016. Given that they have some sort of protection is the US , I just don't see Canada being successful. Much better for them to stay put in the States.

I don't intend for this to be taken the wrong way, I'm just playing devil's advocate:

I'd say your trying to secure your family's future in a Western country by sending them to the US while you yourself are staying in the UAE for a comfy tax-free salary and good standard of living and in the event of you retiring/loosing your job they can sponsor you.

Your son is a different story and he surely needs asylum, but if you're staying in the UAE I don't see why your wife would need protection given that she can stay as your dependent.

Even if I'm wrong, this is the conclusion that most would come to which is why I believe their claim was denied. Even if the claim is genuine, the optics are not good at all.
I do agree with @canuck78 that your family claiming asylum while you continue to work in Dubai is not going to look good.

My recommendation is for your family to stay in the US and wait to hear the outcome of their claim. As some others have pointed out you could look at third countries where all of you could travel to and meet.

If I may ask, why is it that you haven't left the UAE and claimed asylum with your family? After all, aren't you at risk too?

I really appreciate all the information you pointed out; please read below some details I did not share in my earlier posts so that I don't have a lengthy thread which might make the post confusing (please forgive me for the lengthy details below):
1. I did not go with my family because I have another son who was in his second year (2015) in school of medicine in eastern europe and I wanted to sponsor his education. Moreover, having lived in the US during my university study I know that I either need to have a very well saving to cover my family's expenses for at least eight months until I could obtain a work permit and I was not sure that it would workout for us.
2. I do need asylum, in fact I'm actually at a higher risk than my wife and kids because I was born in a town called Jobar which has toughest resistance against the Syrian Regime. In fact I informed that my contract was terminated few years back ONLY because the governmental enterprise I work in did not want anyone holding Syrian TDs to avoid any possible threat. Luckily; that decision was revoked for those not working in sites "like me". If that decision was not revoked I would've been sent back to Syria and the regime is blindly capturing anyone who was born in Jobar even if he had not lived there like myself I lived all of my life in the capital and the UAE. I'm like any loving father who accepts living at whatever risk as long my family is safe.
3. The UAE her is not like other countries giving those who were born in such countries they don't grant citizenship nor long term residence visas; our visas are actually.
4. We are a conservative family that is looking for living all together; that's why I sent my wife and two children and was hoping that after my eldest son, who is studying medicine, we can unite and bring back our smiles.
5. I'm not seeking asylum as a backup plan; I actually applied for immigration to Canada as skilled worker in 2008 when I was 42 and as you remember all application were on-hold and then my application was cancelled. When I tried to re-apply I did the assessment and did not have enough point since I crossed 45 (I'm currently 51). So it's certainly not a backup plan and it's devastating to my health living all by myself here especially for missing the joyful moments seeing my 6-year old son growing up in front of my.
6. The living expenses in the UAE is really high; it would be a lot cheeper for me if I pay taxes and have all the benefits that are granted in the US or Canada. Therefore, if was given the choice I would choose that I pay taxes and live with my family and even have some saving too especially since as expatriate in the UAE we have NO RETIREMENT PLAN.
7. When they were in the US I tried three times to obtain a visit visa to see them but was rejected every time for not having strong ties in the US, which was why we decided to move to Canada thinking that I can get to visit them.

In your reply you mentioned that they have a better chance in the US; my question is: can they go back to the US and will they be required to re-apply or their initial application would still be valid.

Again I would like to thank you for all your valuable information and please accept my apology for the lengthy response.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If your family is in Canada they need to declare your income and pay taxes on it just for your information. Prioritizing your son's education over asylum also does not look good. Asylum is when you have no other option. How old is he. It would seem unlikely that he will continue to be a dependent.

Last edited:
R

rish888

I am well aware of the situation in the UAE, I was born here and currently live here. I agree with you that it's volatile and that there is no permanency.

As @canuck78 said, prioritizing your family's income over asylum doesn't look good. Don't get me wrong here, I understand why you're doing what you're doing and on some level even admire it, but to some person at a refugee board, it's going to look like you (and your family by extension) doesn't need asylum. I'm not saying that's the truth, but that's just the way it's going to look like from their perspective.

Is your family already in Canada?

Also, under what status is your son living on in Eastern Europe? Again, it just doesn't look good if some members are claiming asylum in Canada while others are pursuing an education in Eastern Europe.

As @canuck78 said, if they're already in Canada they will need to declare your income and pay taxes on it. Whether you live in Canada is irrelevant as long as they are living in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think you need to speak to am immigration lawyer in both the US and Canada. I might suggest a second opinion in Canada. Just to warn you your son's medical degree will not allow him practice medicine in Canada. It is extremely difficult and expensive to qualify as an international physician in Canada. There may be a slight chance at practicing family medicine in a rural location but wouldn't count on it. I usually discourage internationally trained doctors, dentists and pharmacists from coming to Canada if they would be unhappy having to change careers.

SEEKING_PEACE

Apr 12, 2017
I am well aware of the situation in the UAE, I was born here and currently live here. I agree with you that it's volatile and that there is no permanency.

As @canuck78 said, prioritizing your family's income over asylum doesn't look good. Don't get me wrong here, I understand why you're doing what you're doing and on some level even admire it, but to some person at a refugee board, it's going to look like you (and your family by extension) doesn't need asylum. I'm not saying that's the truth, but that's just the way it's going to look like from their perspective.

Is your family already in Canada?

Also, under what status is your son living on in Eastern Europe? Again, it just doesn't look good if some members are claiming asylum in Canada while others are pursuing an education in Eastern Europe.

As @canuck78 said, if they're already in Canada they will need to declare your income and pay taxes on it. Whether you live in Canada is irrelevant as long as they are living in Canada.
Yes, my family is already in Canada. My son is on student visa in eastern Europe which will expire once he graduates.

Yes my wife and two children are pursuing asylum while the eldest son is pursuing education; if this is really taken against us it is really disappointing because I think it should be taken to our benefits since we are a scattered family that looks forward being peacefully together willing to contribute to the country and community and even gladly pay our taxes.

SEEKING_PEACE

Apr 12, 2017
I think you need to speak to am immigration lawyer in both the US and Canada. I might suggest a second opinion in Canada. Just to warn you your son's medical degree will not allow him practice medicine in Canada. It is extremely difficult and expensive to qualify as an international physician in Canada. There may be a slight chance at practicing family medicine in a rural location but wouldn't count on it. I usually discourage internationally trained doctors, dentists and pharmacists from coming to Canada if they would be unhappy having to change careers.
I agree that I need to consult an immigration lawyer.
We understand the difficulty in practicing medicine in Canada. We're actually not worried about this, my son has been on the honored students list in all his previous study years and I believe he can get many options to practice in some western countries.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree that I need to consult an immigration lawyer.
We understand the difficulty in practicing medicine in Canada. We're actually not worried about this, my son has been on the honored students list in all his previous study years and I believe he can get many options to practice in some western countries.
Western countries
That summarize it all. What you are trying to achieve is not real asylum request but rather then economic immigration (with the related country shopping).
As it was said before, your family history does point to all that.
Why not to check if you could qualify under some economics programs to immigrate in one of those countries you want to go to.

Refugee system was never intended for the economics immigrants.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Although we all understand your situation what you are presenting and what you are saying are different. You say your priority is having your whole family together but you are in the UAE and your son is in Eastern Europe and will unlikely be able to join you if he wants to be a physician and then the rest of your family is in Canada. You say you can't separate your family but that is what you are currently doing. You have to remember that asylum is granted when there are no other options at that very moment and you fear persecution at that moment. Unfortunately you may have not have consulted with a lawyer before making your plans and misunderstood Canada's asylum program. You also need to do some basic research about Canada. The pension you will receive after not or barely working in Canada will be quite minimal. Unfortunately we have many Canadian seniors who live in poverty. As I said previously at the moment only your 19 year old son has grounds for asylum. I do wish you the best but the asylum process is not easy.