+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching from 2 years program to 1 year program

jazper

Dec 12, 2016
Indian student. 4 years Engineering degree ongoing. I'll be graduating in upcoming summer 2017

As soon as I get the IELTS score, I'm planning to apply in two different colleges (SPP).
One is Humber, Toronto ON, with a 2 years pg diploma program.
& other one is in Winnipeg, Manitoba, which is a 1 year pg diploma course.
Now I can't make a strong decision which one to prompt for. I like both courses, both are field related & in my interest.
Where I struggle is, I'm not sure whether I'd be comfortable in the 2 years course.

Now, lets imagine a scenario, I arrive to Canada, approach Humber & start studying in the course. I don't find it appealing for whatsoever reason.
What happens if I change the college.

My concerns are,

1. I'm switching from a 2 years course to 1 year one. Will it influence the 3 years work permit? Will it be modified to 1 year work permit? Will I be accused for misusing the previous 2 years course for getting more time(years) in Canada?

2. Will it affect when I apply for PR?

3. I've heard I have to attend the course for first semester(6 months) before I can transfer. Is that true?
The course in Manitoba starts in Fall only, that means I can't have a 6 months attendance in the previous college. SO that means I'll have to wait an year till the next term starts? This may get me in trouble, I don't intend to do any fraud. I just need to make sure I go to the right place to study.

Again, it's just a scenario. I'm not getting into this stuff. But I still need to know the outcome of those actions. Please help me not make mistakes unknowingly. Thankyou