+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching colleges after coming to Canada.

rockwidme

Oct 6, 2016
Hi all,

how easy or difficult is it to switch colleges after you have in Canada? Is it even permissible to do so as an International student?

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
Reactions: rockwidme

blacknoir

Sep 22, 2020
Hey @jigzyy, thanks for the info. I would like to know which is better if I want to completely change my course of studies- Applying for the student visa with a good SOP and explaining the reason or changing the course after coming to canada?
If the latter is better, is there anyone who successfully did it without any hurdles?

yslyslysl

Star Member
Jul 16, 2020
Hey @jigzyy, thanks for the info. I would like to know which is better if I want to completely change my course of studies- Applying for the student visa with a good SOP and explaining the reason or changing the course after coming to canada?
If the latter is better, is there anyone who successfully did it without any hurdles?
Its absolutely fine if you change your course after getting the SP. you just need to inform IRCC using your GCkey account.

blacknoir

Sep 22, 2020
Its absolutely fine if you change your course after getting the SP. you just need to inform IRCC using your GCkey account.
Thank you for replying @yslyslysl

What happens if lets say I choose a course which is related to my studies which is for 2 years and I change my course to a 1 year program? I plan to take the pre health sciences pathway program and move on to a medical field preferably in a medical laboratory course which is of 3 years. Can I extend my study visa or is there a probability of the extension being declined?

Also can I change my course before the class starts or am I allowed to withdraw only after attending?

I am doing Hotel Management btw

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

What happens if lets say I choose a course which is related to my studies which is for 2 years and I change my course to a 1 year program? I plan to take the pre health sciences pathway program and move on to a medical field preferably in a medical laboratory course which is of 3 years. Can I extend my study visa or is there a probability of the extension being declined?

Also can I change my course before the class starts or am I allowed to withdraw only after attending?

Have you been accepted to the other course yet?

yslyslysl

Star Member
Jul 16, 2020

Sorry, I'm not quite sure about your case.
and there is always possibility of extension being declined.

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

Khanasma

Sep 20, 2020

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
But won't they have issues if we move from one province to another and what about fee, will school allow us to transfer fee?
No issues with changing provinces, except if you transfer to a school in Quebec you must apply for and obtain a CAQ. Refund policies on fees are up to individual schools. You can't really "transfer" those.

forestalt

Star Member
Aug 5, 2020
You can switch from one DLI to another DLI or one program to another program as long as both schools are approved DLI's. You will have to update your information in IRCC account.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools/account.html
Suppose I switch from one program to another program within the same DLI after studying a semester under my original program (and the credits earned while studying the original program get transferred to the new program, so the length of my diploma/degree remains the same).

Will that first semester that I spent studying under the original program count for my PGWP requirements?