+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switch Private to Public College after Study Permit Approval on Arrival

ssingh5

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
*PLEASE NO IMM AGENTS REQUEST TO CALL THEM*

Hello,
I have been enrolled in a private college in Toronto for a 2 years course. I came to know that i won’t be getting a PGWP if i continue it here. Since the session starts on 10 Jan, i already withdrew my name. I am in Canada now. I want to know What is the procedure now to apply to some other public funded college ?

2) What if i only get a admission in September Intake 2020 ? So is it okay ? Do i need to inform CIC for this change ?

3) if i get sep 2020 intake , can i work here full time till 8 months. i.e. Jan to Sep 2020 since i am waiting for my session to start?

4) Do i need to get this acceptance letter within 90 days ? Is that a rule from cic ?

5) Can anyone help me in getting admission to Culinary management or hospitality 2 years diploma in George Brown ? How will i convince them to give me acceptance. ? My IELTS is 6.5 and i already have a study permit. And Sep intake is open .

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You don't get to stay in Canada for nine months without being a student. Your student permit will be cancelled.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You should have remained a student until securing new loa. Then it would have been ok to dropout and wait for new program to start after updating dli on myCIC account.

You cant work until school starts.

SP can be cancelled if you dont persue studies for 90 days, even if it doesn't you might face issues if you try to extend the permit or apply for PGWP, ircc will wonder what you were doing for these 9 months.

Since you are here, it should be easy just to call/go to these colleges and ask them about admission. Look for may admission if you can find it.

ssingh5

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
You should have remained a student until securing new loa. Then it would have been ok to dropout and wait for new program to start after updating dli on myCIC account.

You cant work until school starts.

SP can be cancelled if you dont persue studies for 90 days, even if it doesn't you might face issues if you try to extend the permit or apply for PGWP, ircc will wonder what you were doing for these 9 months.

Since you are here, it should be easy just to call/go to these colleges and ask them about admission. Look for may admission if you can find it.
@bongoman
Your information is really helpful.
I would try to get the offer letter for May in one month.
I wanted to withdraw from private college because they are not returning my fees. They told me i have to withdraw before course start to get fee refund.

Is it okay still , if i withdraw from private college and able to get the acceptance for May in next 2-3 weeks ?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
No, because you won't be able to work in Canada until you start courses at that college. Your study permit will also be cancelled 90 days after you withdraw from classes, if it hasn't been already since you've already withdrawn.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
@bongoman
Your information is really helpful.
I would try to get the offer letter for May in one month.
I wanted to withdraw from private college because they are not returning my fees. They told me i have to withdraw before course start to get fee refund.

Is it okay still , if i withdraw from private college and able to get the acceptance for May in next 2-3 weeks ?
How are you just now in Canada on a study permit if you are also sponsoring your parents through the Parents and Grandparents program?

ssingh5

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
No, because you won't be able to work in Canada until you start courses at that college. Your study permit will also be cancelled 90 days after you withdraw from classes, if it hasn't been already since you've already withdrawn.
Well Mr @k.h.p.
There is always a provision to change the college if you Dont like. You can not bound the students to one college. So do not try to give false information here.

This question was for one of my friend using my account to post it here.

Thanks so much for the information but its not at all informative.

i guess he can still change the college within 90 days.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Well Mr @k.h.p.
There is always a provision to change the college if you Dont like. You can not bound the students to one college. So do not try to give false information here.

There is a provision to change colleges, but not stay in Canada for five months without being a student. Presumably your "friend" will need to work to pay for their expenses during these five months, which would be illegal.

I suspect you're a consultant crowd-sourcing advice for your clients.

ssingh5

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
I am not a consultant. I am helping my friend.
Thats fine, i asked for an advice , he hasnt stayed here for 5 months. He just landed a week ago. So we are making sure everything is in rule before we act on it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Well Mr @k.h.p.

Your "friend" can't stay here for 5 months without studying. His study permit will no longer be valid. The school is required to report to IRCC that he withdrew. He needs to apply to change his status to visitor or return to his country.

Reactions: k.h.p.