+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Survival jobs in Canada

JOLTBOLT

Jul 16, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
I am aware that it is not easy to get a job in line/level with the job you had in your home country. This could take some time however if one is willing to do any job that is available until he gets to prepare himself to get employed in his chosen field, how difficult it is to get any job for the timebeing or how long does it take. What kind of income can one expect in these survival jobs. Planning to land in June so anyone with experience please respond.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JOLTBOLT said:
Hi all,
I am aware that it is not easy to get a job in line/level with the job you had in your home country. This could take some time however if one is willing to do any job that is available until he gets to prepare himself to get employed in his chosen field, how difficult it is to get any job for the timebeing or how long does it take. What kind of income can one expect in these survival jobs. Planning to land in June so anyone with experience please respond.
Its very difficult to get even a survival job, like for example if you want to work in McDonalds, Wendy's or KFC they'll see if you have prior experience in the fast food industry, how many years did you work, what kind of job you were doing, reference check. Its like as if they are preparing you to go the moon. Its just like looking for a real job but in the fast food industry. You have to keep in mind working minimum wage in a restaurant is glorified in Canada. Minimum wage in Ontario is $10.25

shakira2009

Star Member
Aug 29, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
first Manila, now Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2005
AOR Received.
06-11-2005
File Transfer...
10-10-2009
Med's Request
25-01-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
Where are you landing? If you get to one of the big cities, you'll probably find some form of survival job, even without work experience in the country. I've heard of people getting jobs at factories, warehouses and supermarkets. Sometimes they're not looking at language skills and need people to do the hard work for a few months. If you speak English very well and without a heavy accent, you may find a job as a store clerk or waiter.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
JOLTBOLT said:
Hi all,
Once you land - attend job fair events, there you will be able to connect with Employers and Employment agencies who will be looking to hire people. Government funded employment agencies can help you with getting survival jobs - but they can't help you get "real professional jobs" - however they usually assign you a career consultant who can give you useful advice.

I do believe that getting a survival job is not a challenge...although many people in this forum believe its challenging and very difficult...

I think the real challenge would be how to get "out" of a survival job, cause its already difficult to get back to your own field and doing survival jobs would make it even more difficult - as you will be spending most of your time doing something which is "not relevant"...you need to have a plan in parallel - of how to get back to your original field, otherwise you'll be stuck in survival jobs.