+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Surrendering PR

pgc

Nov 13, 2013
Hi,

Need advice/guidance:

My husband does not meet the residency requirements to rewew his PR. However, my sons and I live in Canada, so he would need to be able to visit us. He is currently in the US on an L1 visa.

In order to surrender his PR, I have heard two routes:

- Voluntarily renounce PR

- Apply for Temporary Document for PR, get rejected, wait out appeal period.

How long does each process take? i.e. if he applies to voluntarily renounce PR, how long does it take (on average, or at the NY Consulate specifically).

If he applies for the TD for PR, how long does it take to get a response, and how long is the appeal period?

Also, what are the chances that he will get rejected for a visitor visa once surrendering PR - assuming that he has ALL his paperwork in order, is there still a higher chance of getting rejected vs. average?

I am not sure if many people who have renounced PR are on this forum, but maybe someone knows something about this.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The third route is for him to come to Canada directly (by car / walk from the US land border). If he get reported, he can ask the officer how long it would take him to lose his PR status. Or if he didn't get reported, then he could stay until he meet his residency obligation to get a new PR card or apply for citizenship.

pgc

Nov 13, 2013
that is an option for an occasional visit, but he doesnt plan to move to Canada anytime soon. He has a great job in the US, and will be staying there for the foreseeable future.

It will be easier to renounce his PR status, as his work may also need him to travel to Canada, and he cant drive each time.

sl_aniw

Apr 5, 2018
that is an option for an occasional visit, but he doesnt plan to move to Canada anytime soon. He has a great job in the US, and will be staying there for the foreseeable future.

It will be easier to renounce his PR status, as his work may also need him to travel to Canada, and he cant drive each time.
Hey pgc, Which route did you eventually take and how did it go for you guys?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Issue is there is no guarantee that you will be granted a visitor visa to come to Canada because you have such strong ties in Canada. Be careful when renouncing PR.