+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Surrendering Indian Passport AFTER 3 years of obtaining citizenship, via mail/post

aaroniclee

Dec 6, 2014
Hi all,

Hoping someone can provide some info here. I'm looking to surrender my Indian Passport via mail/post to the BLS Centre in Toronto, and I acquired citizenship in 2019. My Indian passport has long been expired and I never travelled with it after I got my Canadian citizenship.

I know I have to pay a penalty of Rs. 10,000 for not surrendering it within the 3 year period, but no where on the BLS or Consulate website I can find what that translates to Canadian Dollars. When I send my mail-in application, do I convert the CAD to Rs myself and include a certified cheque, or do I wait for them to tell me what the fine would be?

Thanks!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi all,

Hoping someone can provide some info here. I'm looking to surrender my Indian Passport via mail/post to the BLS Centre in Toronto, and I acquired citizenship in 2019. My Indian passport has long been expired and I never travelled with it after I got my Canadian citizenship.

I know I have to pay a penalty of Rs. 10,000 for not surrendering it within the 3 year period, but no where on the BLS or Consulate website I can find what that translates to Canadian Dollars. When I send my mail-in application, do I convert the CAD to Rs myself and include a certified cheque, or do I wait for them to tell me what the fine would be?

Thanks!
Such cases it would be better if you do it in person.