+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Surrender Indian passport in India and apply OCI in India

sacp

Nov 23, 2021
Hi
Due to unavoidable circumstances, I need to relocate to India for a year time.
I got my citizenship test date 2 days before I am leaving.I am planning to take the test from India.
For oath ceremony I am planning to come to Canada and apply for Canadian passport.
As Indian passport surrender and OCI process will take around 2 to 3 months time,I am planning to come back to India after getting Canadian passport.

Question 1. Is this possible?

Question 2. Will I be able to surrender my Indian passport and apply OCI from India?

aeropostale

Sep 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
Due to unavoidable circumstances, I need to relocate to India for a year time.
I got my citizenship test date 2 days before I am leaving.I am planning to take the test from India.
For oath ceremony I am planning to come to Canada and apply for Canadian passport.
As Indian passport surrender and OCI process will take around 2 to 3 months time,I am planning to come back to India after getting Canadian passport.

Question 1. Is this possible?

Question 2. Will I be able to surrender my Indian passport and apply OCI from India?
You may be able to surrender the Indian Passport in India at Passport Seva Kendra, but unfortunately, you may only apply OCI when you're outside of India.

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reactions: sacp

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may be able to surrender the Indian Passport in India at Passport Seva Kendra, but unfortunately, you may only apply OCI when you're outside of India.
That may not be accurate - one can apply for OCI while in India through the FRRO. May have to re-look at the exacts of the process, but it is possible.

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Additional information related to your note :

Foreign nationals cannot apply for OCI in India while on Tourist Visa, Missionary Visa and Mountaineering Visa. Moreover, the foreigner has to be ordinarily resident of India to be eligible to apply for OCI registration in India.
Note: 'ordinarily resident' will mean a person staying in a particular country or in India for a continuous period of 6 months.

While in india- having travelled on an indian passport, one can surrender indian passport, apply for an entry visa at the same time (because you are of indian origin) an exit permit (so you can get out of india - apply when when the time comes), and apply for OCI after 6 months residency

irrespective of OCI or entry visa, per the documented processes, you will have to apply for an exit visa to get out of india.

One can actually go to india on an indian passport, and apply for a canadian passport in india (does not have to do it from canada) and continue with the rest of the process as outlined.

Of course, OP has to do some good reading and spend time in the whole process.

vaas2018

Oct 13, 2018
Hello Seniors, @sacp, @cecap
Once Canadian passport is received(in Canada or in India), Can you provide some more details on how OCI can be done having Entry X Visa and apply for OCI in India. Also, continuous period of 6 months stay in India is needed to apply for OCI in India. Should stay be extended at FRRO at the end of 6th month and apply for OCI around same time?

Additional information related to your note :

Foreign nationals cannot apply for OCI in India while on Tourist Visa, Missionary Visa and Mountaineering Visa. Moreover, the foreigner has to be ordinarily resident of India to be eligible to apply for OCI registration in India.
Note: 'ordinarily resident' will mean a person staying in a particular country or in India for a continuous period of 6 months.

While in india- having travelled on an indian passport, one can surrender indian passport, apply for an entry visa at the same time (because you are of indian origin) an exit permit (so you can get out of india - apply when when the time comes), and apply for OCI after 6 months residency

irrespective of OCI or entry visa, per the documented processes, you will have to apply for an exit visa to get out of india.

One can actually go to india on an indian passport, and apply for a canadian passport in india (does not have to do it from canada) and continue with the rest of the process as outlined.

Of course, OP has to do some good reading and spend time in the whole process.