Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
Call again, you got someone who is not aware if the process. Most of them without Canadian passport submitted for surrender with explanation letter. you can include your receiprt from Service Canada or passport Canada and explain that you haven't received. you should be fine. I am sending Monday without Canadian Paaport. Ottawa juridiction. I am adding Service Canada papaer they give while application and i will write a letter that i haven;t got yet due to prolonged delays..
ok, I have sent in a postal application, and I just have a Canada post tracking number/receipt. I will call BLS again tomorrow to confirm.

r_0787

Oct 17, 2016
Hi, I applied for surrender certificate a on March 12, 2022, still I don't see any update, in BLS it says processing at consulate, how long should I wait to receive it, it's been already a month now?
Hi, I am waiting for my surrender certificate, please could you share if you got the surrender certificate as of now, and if yes, how much time did it take. Thanks

MBA-India

Mar 4, 2014
For the Surrender certificate what are the more recent processing timelines - Toronto or Brampton Applicants?

I am seeing a wide range of responses from 2 weeks to 2 months. It would be interesting to know if this differs by location

Reactions: BeerBeem

Slowmoving

Star Member
May 13, 2021
Call again, you got someone who is not aware if the process. Most of them without Canadian passport submitted for surrender with explanation letter. you can include your receiprt from Service Canada or passport Canada and explain that you haven't received. you should be fine. I am sending Monday without Canadian Paaport. Ottawa juridiction. I am adding Service Canada papaer they give while application and i will write a letter that i haven;t got yet due to prolonged delays..
Hi Alex,

Was your application accepted (and processed) without the canadian passport? I plan to do the same as you have mentioned this weekend.

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
Hi Alex,

Was your application accepted (and processed) without the canadian passport? I plan to do the same as you have mentioned this weekend.
Hi ,

Got my surrender in 3 weeks and my oci Application is in process 5 weeks 1 day , still shows under process, maybe soon will get an update next week.

Surrender certificate, yes including my family, many of them applied without Canadian passport.
All you need is write an explanation letter. Stating that you don't have Canadian passport or not applied or applied but not received yet. Anything will work.

Wish you Good luck

Reactions: BeerBeem

Slowmoving

Star Member
May 13, 2021
Hi ,

Got my surrender in 3 weeks and my oci Application is in process 5 weeks 1 day , still shows under process, maybe soon will get an update next week.

Surrender certificate, yes including my family, many of them applied without Canadian passport.
All you need is write an explanation letter. Stating that you don't have Canadian passport or not applied or applied but not received yet. Anything will work.

Wish you Good luck
Thanks a lot for your quick response. Do let us know here when you get your OCI!

Good luck!

arnvfx

Star Member
May 20, 2015
Anyone apply using postal service in Vancouver? Do we have to send in our original Canadian Passport within the application.

Some places I see this text"

"Please enclose photo page of your Canadian / Foreign Passport having photographs and details of your passport. Original Passport is required to be submitted for verification, it will be returned back after verification. Copies must be self-attested (signed) by the applicant"

and some places it says only have to include copies

Slowmoving

Star Member
May 13, 2021
Anyone apply using postal service in Vancouver? Do we have to send in our original Canadian Passport within the application.

Some places I see this text"

"Please enclose photo page of your Canadian / Foreign Passport having photographs and details of your passport. Original Passport is required to be submitted for verification, it will be returned back after verification. Copies must be self-attested (signed) by the applicant"

and some places it says only have to include copies
I applied 3 weeks back without a Canadian passport as I have not received mine yet. I sent a letter explaining the missing passport and my surrender certificate has been processed, but not mailed to me yet.

The instructions are not very clear but my understanding is that you can send a self attested copy of your canadian passport with a postal application and it will work.

Worst case scenario - BLS will send you an email asking for original passport.

Reactions: arnvfx

arnvfx

Star Member
May 20, 2015
I applied 3 weeks back without a Canadian passport as I have not received mine yet. I sent a letter explaining the missing passport and my surrender certificate has been processed, but not mailed to me yet.

The instructions are not very clear but my understanding is that you can send a self attested copy of your canadian passport with a postal application and it will work.

Worst case scenario - BLS will send you an email asking for original passport.
Thanks for your reply. True, I will apply without one and see how it goes. Thanks

Jack-Can

Star Member
Aug 8, 2018
I've submitted my Surrender Certificate application on August 3rd, but no news so far , status shows "processing at High Commission" .
Ottawa BLS, how much I need to wait more ? or advise if I need to reach out India Embassy.

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
I've submitted my Surrender Certificate application on August 3rd, but no news so far , status shows "processing at High Commission" .
Ottawa BLS, how much I need to wait more ? or advise if I need to reach out India Embassy.
Ottawa is slow compared to other Jurisdiction, you can wait. Everything will be ok. You will see some updates in September 1st week +/- a week.

AMR2011

Aug 20, 2012
India
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ HK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-Dec-2011, Federal App Rec. in NS: 29-June-2015(Sent:18/6)
Doc's Request.
CSQ: 04-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ: 29-05-2015
AOR Received.
04-02-2012; Federal AOR: 7-August 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the Application
Med's Request
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
11-02-2016
Interview........
NIL
Passport Req..
"Medical Received": 26-02-2016; PPR: 29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made: 29-02-2016; Visa Issued: 3/3/2016
LANDED..........
4-Oct-2016; PR Card received: 15th Dec 2016!!!!!
I happen to apply from Montreal BLS and my timeline is below. Just go to the BLS with the correct documents and i think it was incredibly fast. I just wanted to give a try before receiving the Canadian passport and i have got the surrender certificate in hand today and yet to get the Canadian passport.

Timeline:
18/11: Submission for Surrender Certificate
21/11: Checked status in BLS website,, read as "In transit to High Commission Ottawa"
22/11: Status in BLS website, read as "Under process in High Commission Ottawaa"
23/11: Got to know from this site, that we can check the ARN status in the high commission page where we created the Application. Checked here and the status read as "Surrender Certificate has been printed"
24/11: Same status stayed in BLS website and the High Commission website
25/11: Check the status in BLS and it read as "Ready for Collection" though the high commission website still showed "Surrender Certificate has been printed"
25/11: Went to BLS because i did opted for a pickup and i have my surrender certificate and cancelled passport.

I am posting this here, only to let you know how to track and the status that shows in each site which is not very clear anywhere. I think, the timeline might depend on the area and the volume of passports they receive. I hope everyone is working hard behind the scenes, otherwise nothing will move.

User91

Dec 8, 2022
I happen to apply from Montreal BLS and my timeline is below. Just go to the BLS with the correct documents and i think it was incredibly fast. I just wanted to give a try before receiving the Canadian passport and i have got the surrender certificate in hand today and yet to get the Canadian passport.

Timeline:
18/11: Submission for Surrender Certificate
21/11: Checked status in BLS website,, read as "In transit to High Commission Ottawa"
22/11: Status in BLS website, read as "Under process in High Commission Ottawaa"
23/11: Got to know from this site, that we can check the ARN status in the high commission page where we created the Application. Checked here and the status read as "Surrender Certificate has been printed"
24/11: Same status stayed in BLS website and the High Commission website
25/11: Check the status in BLS and it read as "Ready for Collection" though the high commission website still showed "Surrender Certificate has been printed"
25/11: Went to BLS because i did opted for a pickup and i have my surrender certificate and cancelled passport.

I am posting this here, only to let you know how to track and the status that shows in each site which is not very clear anywhere. I think, the timeline might depend on the area and the volume of passports they receive. I hope everyone is working hard behind the scenes, otherwise nothing will move.
Hi. Which option did you select from the drop-down on the BLS site for tracking the surrender certificate status? Is it "Passport Application" or "Consular Application "? There's no direct option for Surrender certificate. It's so confusing.
Thanks