+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Surname of Spouse

psmaan

Sep 14, 2018
Hi !
I am preparing for ECA and EE profile as Principal Applicant. I have following quires:

1. My spouse has her parent surname (before and after marriage) as 'Last Name' both on marriage certificate
as well as on passport. Weather it will create any issue while creating EE profile and thereafter submitting
documents after ITA as she donot bear my surname on both documents or its mandatory to have same
'Last Name' for spouse as well as Principal Applicant on passport and marriage certificate.

2. My wife bears only 'First Name' and 'Middle Name' on her all academic documents but bears 'Last Name' on passport as well. Will it create any issue while undergoing ECA through WES or an affidavit need to be send in this regard to mention that both names belong to same person. (if anybody know the format of the affadavit, kindly let me know.)
Persons familiar and sure with these issues, only need to reply to avoid any further confusion.
Many Thanks !.

zohebshaikh

Aug 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
Hi !
I am preparing for ECA and EE profile as Principal Applicant. I have following quires:

1. My spouse has her parent surname (before and after marriage) as 'Last Name' both on marriage certificate
as well as on passport. Weather it will create any issue while creating EE profile and thereafter submitting
documents after ITA as she donot bear my surname on both documents or its mandatory to have same
'Last Name' for spouse as well as Principal Applicant on passport and marriage certificate.

2. My wife bears only 'First Name' and 'Middle Name' on her all academic documents but bears 'Last Name' on passport as well. Will it create any issue while undergoing ECA through WES or an affidavit need to be send in this regard to mention that both names belong to same person. (if anybody know the format of the affadavit, kindly let me know.)
Persons familiar and sure with these issues, only need to reply to avoid any further confusion.
Many Thanks !.
  1. no issues, no need for both to have same last name. ensure that her first + middle name is mentioned everywhere they ask her for 'other names used' in the EE/PR application
  2. No need for affidavit to ECA, they will issue ECA only with the same name as in education document. She can send a note alongwith (outside the sealed transcript envelope) to WES explaining the name difference in passport and education document.
to be safe, make a notarised 'name change affidavit' that mentions that her current name is first+last (as in passport and annexed as exhibit) and that her name in her education documents (annexed as exhibits) is first+middle name and she solemnly states she is the same person. this is a standard document and can be done easily for not much money.

also make a note in the 'letter of explanation' while filing your eAPR, about the difference in the name in education documents.

imo, quite high-handed to ask for help and also say "Persons familiar and sure with these issues, only need to reply to avoid any further confusion". Know that this is a community sharing their time, experience & learnings (for free) to support all those here.

Good Luck !

Reactions: psmaan

psmaan

Sep 14, 2018
Many Thanks Brother, for all your time. !

(imo, quite high-handed to ask for help and also say "Persons familiar and sure with these issues, only need to reply to avoid any further confusion". Know that this is a community sharing their time, experience & learnings (for free) to support all those here.)

The only reason behind writing this is, as many times we encounter people not sure about any particular thing also suggest something, which later on prove costly.

Anyway, many thanks again, you pull me put from dilemma !

Good Luck ![/QUOTE]

1. no issues, no need for both to have same last name. ensure that her first + middle name is mentioned everywhere they ask her for 'other names used' in the EE/PR application
  2. No need for affidavit to ECA, they will issue ECA only with the same name as in education document. She can send a note alongwith (outside the sealed transcript envelope) to WES explaining the name difference in passport and education document.
to be safe, make a notarised 'name change affidavit' that mentions that her current name is first+last (as in passport and annexed as exhibit) and that her name in her education documents (annexed as exhibits) is first+middle name and she solemnly states she is the same person. this is a standard document and can be done easily for not much money.

also make a note in the 'letter of explanation' while filing your eAPR, about the difference in the name in education documents.

imo, quite high-handed to ask for help and also say "Persons familiar and sure with these issues, only need to reply to avoid any further confusion". Know that this is a community sharing their time, experience & learnings (for free) to support all those here.

Good Luck !

Amit Marwaha

Star Member
Sep 13, 2018
I am having almost same issue.
My name mentioned over passport is Amit Marwaha and same I uploaded for ilets, however my acedemic records have my name mentioned as Amit Kumar. Would this be problem further at any stage. Any action recommended
Please suggest on earliest

Reactions: psmaan