+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Surname Change - PR Card

Hiphop29

Nov 12, 2020
Hi,

Got married 6 years ago and recently applied for new Indian passport reflecting married surname. Now I am trying to find information for getting an updated PR card. CIC doesn't provides clear information on what document to provide. I have my new passport with new surname along with my marriage certificate issued by India. What else would I need to attach to my application?

Hiphop29

Nov 12, 2020
The part I am confused about is the second document -

If you are a permanent resident and changed your name outside of Canada, submit:
  • a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
  • an official document linking the old and new names.
What would be this official document linking the old and new names?

MissJustice

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
BC
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
16-05-2017
Nomination.....
05-2017
AOR Received.
08-2017
Med's Request
01-04-2018
Med's Done....
01-05-2018
Passport Req..
05-02-2019
marriage certificate or legal name change document I suppose.

Reactions: armoured

Hiphop29

Nov 12, 2020
Marriage certificate is from India...would that work? Is there any way to confirm with CIC?

Last edited:

Reilui

Star Member
May 2, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
26-07-2018
File Transfer...
30-05-2019
Marriage certificate is from India...would that work? Is there any way to confirm with CIC?
Hi how was your change name in pr card?

micrarach

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
I moved to Canada with my passport in my maiden name and later updated passport and my PR Card to my married name. You apply for a new PR Card using the form they provide and fill it out. I provided them with my marriage certificate showing the link to my old name, and passport, driving licence and health card, all reflecting my married name.

Chloe10

Jun 10, 2019
AOR Received.
28/03/2019
Med's Request
28/03/2019
Med's Done....
10/04/2019
I moved to Canada with my passport in my maiden name and later updated passport and my PR Card to my married name. You apply for a new PR Card using the form they provide and fill it out. I provided them with my marriage certificate showing the link to my old name, and passport, driving licence and health card, all reflecting my married name.
Hi
I just have a question I am hoping you could answer. I need to renew my PR and British Passport to change my name after marriage. Which should I do first? Or does it not matter? If I renew my PR card before my passport does it matter that the passport name reflects my old name in the PR renewal application?
Thanks!

micrarach

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
Hi
I just have a question I am hoping you could answer. I need to renew my PR and British Passport to change my name after marriage. Which should I do first? Or does it not matter? If I renew my PR card before my passport does it matter that the passport name reflects my old name in the PR renewal application?
Thanks!
I have just done this (because I am now divorced and have changed back to my maiden name again). I called them and asked if I needed my British passport changed before applying to change my PR card. The agent said it made no difference to them. They said to submit my driving licence and health card, as these reflect the name I am using now. This is what I have done. I applied with the paper application and as of yet have no received an AOR.

After all that though, my British passport took all of 3 weeks to come back. They're moving pretty quickly so there is no harm in doing that first if you prefer.

Chloe10

Jun 10, 2019
AOR Received.
28/03/2019
Med's Request
28/03/2019
Med's Done....
10/04/2019
I have just done this (because I am now divorced and have changed back to my maiden name again). I called them and asked if I needed my British passport changed before applying to change my PR card. The agent said it made no difference to them. They said to submit my driving licence and health card, as these reflect the name I am using now. This is what I have done. I applied with the paper application and as of yet have no received an AOR.

After all that though, my British passport took all of 3 weeks to come back. They're moving pretty quickly so there is no harm in doing that first if you prefer.
Oh perfect. Thanks for that!
Out of curiosity, why did you choose to use the paper application? I am torn between which to use. I don't remember ever having an account for the online portal but not sure whether I should create one or just go with paper.
For your British Passport did you have to take a photo that had a code? Or did you just upload your own photo?
Sorry lotta questions!

micrarach

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
Oh perfect. Thanks for that!
Out of curiosity, why did you choose to use the paper application? I am torn between which to use. I don't remember ever having an account for the online portal but not sure whether I should create one or just go with paper.
For your British Passport did you have to take a photo that had a code? Or did you just upload your own photo?
Sorry lotta questions!
I went with the paper application because that is what I did last time when I changed to my married name, and figured I'd just keep it the same. Since having done that I see a lot of people reporting bugs with the online submission.

For my passport, I got the PR card photo taken at shoppers and scanned it in. I uploaded that to the passport application website, and they accepted it!

Chloe10

Jun 10, 2019
AOR Received.
28/03/2019
Med's Request
28/03/2019
Med's Done....
10/04/2019
I went with the paper application because that is what I did last time when I changed to my married name, and figured I'd just keep it the same. Since having done that I see a lot of people reporting bugs with the online submission.

For my passport, I got the PR card photo taken at shoppers and scanned it in. I uploaded that to the passport application website, and they accepted it!
Think I'll go with paper too then.
Thanks for your help!!